• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really scared - Tooth pain from nightly tongue thrust. Can I push the tooth out or damage root??

M

Mary G.

Really scared - Tooth pain from nightly tongue thrust. Can I push the tooth out or damage root??

I have developed a tongue thrusting habit as a result of CPAP therapy for sleep apnea. I also grind my teeth and wear a nightguard on my bottom teeth.

Some mornings, like this morning, I wake up and either one or both of my top front teeth really hurt. This doesn't happen every morning....maybe few times a week. My teeth have also been pushed forward and I have developed a gap as a result of my tongue pushing against them. In order to keep my mouth from falling open, I will either wear a chin strap or tape across my mouth. I don't know if this is making the problem worse.

I have an appointment with an orthodontist in a couple of weeks about getting a retainer with a tongue cage or crib that will keep my tongue away from my teeth at night while I'm asleep.

In the meantime, though, I'm petrified that i'm going to end up causing serious root damage or resorption from the nightly pressure from my tongue or worse yet, push my teeth right out! My teeth are healthy and in good condition but the pain in one of my front teeth this morning freaked me out really badly and suffering really bad anxiety.

Am I overreacting?

Re: Really scared - Tooth pain from nightly tongue thrust. Can I push the tooth out or damage root??

Anyone? I realize that my question might seem silly but I have OCD and this is really worrying me.

Back