• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

removing badly broken teeth

R

Raheelah

i am petrified of the dentist.......
my top very back teeth 1 on left and 1 on right sides, (next to wisdom teeth that were extracted under general anaesetic back in 1987) have been crumbling away since 2002 and there is literally maybe a millimetre's worth of teeth left and nothing in my humble opinion for the dentist to get hold of to extract them. i did go to a dentist for a filling last august but having returned to a new NHS area obviously i cannot go to the hospital i was due to be referred to. my added prob is that i have a very small mouth and when i had the wisdom teeth extracted (all 4) they thought i might to have my jaw broke, luckily the surgeon was skilled enough not to have to do that but it was a very close one. if they have to break my jaw what is the procedure and are there any alternatives? what is likely to happen when i do go to the dentist (proberly dental hospital cose not registered and will be referred there anyway) and do they use the wand @ Liverpool dental hospital ? - i have multiple disabilities (registered blind, bit deaf, asthma, mobility probs and have aspergers syndrome) i do not want a anaesetic cose i am petrified of not waking up but am so scared to go in any case :cry: :hidesbehindsofa: :scared:

Re: crumbling teeth

Teeth that have the crowns fractured off or decayed off are usually EASIER to remove than when the crown is intact. We don't extract teeth by yanking on the crowns, that's a popular misconception.

It's very difficult to break somebody's jaw, no matter how small they are it takes a fair amount of force applied the wrong way to do it. You don't have to break a jaw to remove a wisdom tooth.

Don't know about the Wand at Liverpool DH although I'd be surprised if one wasn't available.

there is no crown involved and they would need to break the jaw they said, hense it would not happen by accident. not kidding my mouth is the size of an 8yr olds
:hidesbehindsofa: :cry:

I think you have misunderstood. There is no reason to break somebody's jaw to extract a tooth. Sometimes some of the bone has to be removed to allow the tooth to be removed but there's plenty left behind.
I removed thirteen teeth from a 2 year old this morning. :(

I can assure you that her jaw was a lot smaller than yours is and that there was never any danger of her jaw being broken.

Hi Raheelah,

I know this is off-topic, but how do you find this site in terms of accessibility? (you mentioned being registered blind)

Cheers!

letsconnect said:
Hi Raheelah,

I know this is off-topic, but how do you find this site in terms of accessibility? (you mentioned being registered blind)

Cheers!

this site is nice and clearly laid out with no annoying ads to distract. the font is nice and of a good size.:jump:
i am registered blind due to the fact that i have tunnel vision and slight color blindness and slight night blindness, most people in the street do not realise i have a sight problem