• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Removing Crown & Root Canal Teeth

A

aharris2456

Hi I'm just wondering if someone could explain the procedure for removing a crown and a root canal tooth with a infection and possible bone infection. I'm having it done this Monday and I think I would feel better if I knew what should be done.
Thank You

Well, Sometimes the problem is not in the root canal that was filled, but in another canal that the dentist did not find. The bacteria in this unfilled canal will grow and cause pain..

Hi
the procedure is the same as any other tooth.
So long as the infection is not too active at the time of extraction then it rarely causes a problem and can actually make the removal easier.
The dentist will numb the tooth and the gums so that you can't feel anything. you may ba aware of some pressure as the tooth is being removed but there shouldn't be any pain.
they'll give you instructions for looking after the site afterwards to help keep it clean.
best of luck

Thank you for the quick replies. My dentist said that it might of infected the bone but he won't know for sure until the tooth is extracted. Could anyone tell me what they do if the bone is infected.

Re: Removing Crown & Root Canal Teeth

Thank you for the quick replies. My dentist said that it might of infected the bone but he won't know for sure until the tooth is extracted. Could anyone tell me what they do if the bone is infected.

I'm VERY interested in this also. I have 2 teeth, both with root canals (so there's no pain...at the momen) but they both broke off and are now under the gum. I too want to know how bad this is and what if there's infection in the bone.

Hopefully someone can answer out question to both of out liking.