A
Ashy90
Junior member
- Joined
- Aug 15, 2017
- Messages
- 3
Hello ? I'm just a little paranoid and looking for some reassurance. I had a lower left molar undergo RCT with a crown around 7 years ago.
Six weeks ago, I noticed the familiar gumboil appear and went to my dentist. He advised the RCT in the tooth was infected and it would need to be redone by an endo specialist.
The specialist said that he believed there to be enough tooth structure based on the x-ray for us to give retreatment a go. My appointment was yesterday, and looking at the before and after X-ray, I have had a fantastic RCT done. Despite the tears we had in the chair throughout.
My question is, the specialist advised that my original crown is leaking and hence why it infected, but he did not remove this for the RCT. He drilled an access hole, which he filled back in afterwards. I have been told to get an appointment with my normal dentist to get the crown replaced as soon as possible, and I am getting this done in two weeks. But is this now two weeks with an ill-fitting crown that could effectively infect my retreated root canal treatment? I'm also concerned with what the dentist will find when he takes the old crown off as I assumed the specialist was going to do that? If it needs a post putting in then I don't want that in my newly done RCT as it defeats the object of paying for a specialist.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm just so paranoid about my teeth!
Six weeks ago, I noticed the familiar gumboil appear and went to my dentist. He advised the RCT in the tooth was infected and it would need to be redone by an endo specialist.
The specialist said that he believed there to be enough tooth structure based on the x-ray for us to give retreatment a go. My appointment was yesterday, and looking at the before and after X-ray, I have had a fantastic RCT done. Despite the tears we had in the chair throughout.
My question is, the specialist advised that my original crown is leaking and hence why it infected, but he did not remove this for the RCT. He drilled an access hole, which he filled back in afterwards. I have been told to get an appointment with my normal dentist to get the crown replaced as soon as possible, and I am getting this done in two weeks. But is this now two weeks with an ill-fitting crown that could effectively infect my retreated root canal treatment? I'm also concerned with what the dentist will find when he takes the old crown off as I assumed the specialist was going to do that? If it needs a post putting in then I don't want that in my newly done RCT as it defeats the object of paying for a specialist.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm just so paranoid about my teeth!
