• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Requesting help - painful thrush after getting temporary dentures.

W

wk

I need help and/or suggestions on how to deal with oral thrush. I've been trying some home remedies found on the internet such as apple cider vinegar and baking soda. So far, am just 3 days into home remedy but it seems like it's getting worse with new sore spots.

My teeth were removed in late Feb and I was given temporary dentures. Ten days later they added the soft liner, and made an appointment to get permanent dentures three months later. My temporary dentures have become so big, no amount or type of glue product will keep them in place. With the first chew of anything, including soft foods, the dentures rock out of place and render the glue useless. It has become so painful to eat much of anything and now on top of it all, have painful thrush.

I've been very good about taking care of my gums and dentures and don't know how much more I could have done to prevent thrush. Even between cleansing the dentures, I give them a good rinse after everything I eat or drink. I've continued to rinse with warm salt water since the teeth were removed. I was using Biotene mouthwash up until 3 days ago after starting the home remedy for thrush, as suggested on the home remedy sites.

Please, any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you,
wk

see your dentist to confirm the yeast infection. Get prescription for medication, have temporary denture disinfected as it can easily harbor the organism and get a relined done.

Thank you. Your helpful response is very appreciated. I have heeded your suggestion and made an appointment to see the dentist today.

At the appointment later that day...
Thrush was confirmed, received a prescription and dentures were relined.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back