• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal for a Side Cavity

A

aurorap

I had a big deep hole filled on the side of my 2nd molar and its become sensitive after two months to sugar and cold, so probably need a root canal.

I'm just interested if anybody knows if the procedure of a RTC is different if its on the side of the tooth? Or do they still drill in from the middle?

Also i'm terrified of getting it done because I cannot stand the pain at all- sometimes i feel small sparks of pain during fillings :( I'm only 20 but i've got crap teeth because of years of eating rubbish and now paying the price for it. :(

Hi aurorap :welcome:,

I‘m not a dentists but sensitivity to sugar and cold two months after a filling was placed doesn‘t sound like the tooth needs a root canal, so if this worry is holding you back from seeing a dentist, do not let it.
IF the tooth needed a rct, the dentist would get into it from the top. Sorry to read about the sparks you have been feeling during fillings. In general it should be possible to get you perfectly numb for any procedure. Out of curiosity, did you talk to your dentist about those sparks as they appeared?

Last but not least, do not beat yourself up for your past. It sounds like you are back on track and that is the only thing that counts.

All the best wishes

Hi,

The location of the cavity does influence a root canal treatment.
Is it an upper or a lower second molar?

Back