• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Rotten teeth

S

Scared Teen

So Im 17 and I'm really embarrassed to go to the dentist because I had a root canal when I was younger and the metal crown fell off like 4 years ago and the tooth is like rotting? I wanted to go before but I didn't want to go alone and my mom was super busy and then I had finals and everything was hectic and I forgot about it and now four years later Im really scared cux it's gotten worse and now my other teeth are rotting cux I havent had a check up due to fear and just not being able to go. I've been telling my mom that I need to go but she's really busy especially with the covid situation. We have insurance so money isn't an issue which I think makes thing worse for me because it's accessible and yet I haven't gone. So how do I face my dentist without being shamed for being so young and having really bad rotting teeth. - Scared Teen

If you can, try sitting down with your mom and have a direct conversation about how you want to go to the dentist. Have you told her how you feel about your teeth?
Most dentists will be happy that you came in at all, and won’t shame you for the condition of your teeth. I would suggest doing a google search for local dentists and look at the reviews. Look for a dentist with reviews that mention kindness, or compassion, or that they are good with fearful patients. That is how I found my new dentist when we moved.
Also, I am not a dentist but your teeth may not be as bad as you think they are. A root canal will take the nerve out of the tooth, so the tooth is dead. The crown covers it to keep it functional but the tooth may be discolored not rotten. It is very possible that it just needs a new crown. Do your teeth hurt?

Yes, as MountainMama said, the key to making the process easier for you is finding the right dentist. Google reviews are great as it’s from the patient perspective describing their actual experiences. Maybe check their website or social media too and you’ll usually get an idea of the culture or vibe of the practice.

I’d suggest dropping them an email too . Explain your situation and see what response comes back. If they’re warm and welcoming that’s a great start.

Once you’re confident you’re not going to be judged then there’s no need to feel in any way ashamed. You should be proud that you’re actually being proactive about it and taking control of the situation. And you’re absolutely doing the right thing. Keep going - you’ll be glad you did.

Niall

Back