• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared but determined Need Encouragement!!

S

scaredpuppy

After three years, I finally decided to return to the dentist. My first appointment was easy enough and only consisted of x-rays and an exam. I was told I needed a Full Mouth Debridement, which is scheduled for next Tuesday. I took me forever to build up to go in the first place and now I am again scared. I fear the pain mostly, as who wants to be in pain! Can anyone offer any encouragement and maybe help ease my fear by telling me this is not as painful as I am guessing ( must be honest). Please and thank u!

Doesn't have to be painful:

I had that done on my 1st appointment and I thought it was nothing! They just clean between your teeth and trust me I had about 30 years of tartar in there. LOL It bugs some people so if it does just get gas or sedation but it's really nothing. It didn't bother me at all. I'll take it over an injection any day. :)

Chances are it will be fine without anaesthetic. People who find it unpleasant to the point if wanting anaesthetic seem to be those with sensitive dentine exposed or those with sore gums.
The gum tissue can be numbed just with gels like Oraqix, if it's a sensitivity within the tooth then you need LA. Nitrous can also help as it has a numbing effect on soft tissue.
A gentle hygienist can also make a great deal of difference as well...they do vary but dentists know this and don't want 'rough hygienists' to scare their patients away. So chances are if your dentist is gentle so will your hygienist be.
Bottom line is it shouldn't be more than a little bit uncomfortable for nanoseconds and well within a painophobe's (like me) tolerance and if it is not, then get gel/LA.

Agree a stop signal to take breaks if you think it will be a long appt, just having that can make it easier to just go with the flow, knowing you can have a break at any point you choose.

Hi :)

I'm going under sedated surgery tomorow and like you I am scared. Almost to verge of avoiding this procedure and losting 600 $ CAN. Tomorow, it will cost way more.

I got all my teeth nicely clean 2 years ago and it went very well. No pain at all. I was anxious at first, but we took it easy and started with 1 tiny tooth... and then she ask me if I wanted to pursue. I said yes, so she did a few of them, then she asked me again if I wanted to try a few more, I said yes and so on... it took a little longer to do, but it went just fine.

It will go well and you wont feel any pain. You might feel a little discomfort here and there (du to anxiety) and if needed, ask for a little break, drink glass of water and all will be good.

Try to think of things that makes you happy... try to relax your hands... if you dont like the sounds, ask for music... and what I keep to myself is, I can always leave if I want (I never do, not helping myself to avoid, but just giving me the persmission to do so, helps me).
Good luck!

Hi there!
Have had 2 deep cleanings with the gel to numb and it really helps.
I second the advice of a signal. Also talk with your hygienist before and just let him/her know that you're anxious.

Good luck and congrats on pushing through the fear!!

Thank you all so much! The day is just two days away now and instead of being scared, I kinda just want to get my teeth back in check, and that is driving me right now. Hopefully it stays that way! Something that helped during my first appointment was to listen to music, so I will be doing this again and hopefully it is as painless as yall say. Thanks again!

I get to go in for a cleaning today :) lucky me ha ha... but in nov i go in for more fillings. I have dental phobia but I don't plan on using any sedation today. I think cleanings are not a problem. The full mouth debridement I had was practically nothing. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Listening to music is a great suggestion. I would like to do that too.

Went in for my cleaning today. It was a little uncomfortable at times but nothing to get worked up about. I don't mind cleanings at all. Worked on some relaxation tips Stressdoc gave me. Now, to get through the fillings :scared:

Well today was the day. It really wasn't too bad, but there was some discomfort and there is a little now. I have to go back next week for a deeper cleaning :(. I think its the deepest cleaning they do. I am really nervous about this one coming up. I did speak with the hygienist who stated that it should be pain free (I have my doubts). Anyone ever had the Scaling and Root Planning done??

I've had a scaling and root planning recently. Will they numb you? I've heard they'll do it with or without local. For me, they numbed me. There's just a little bit of pressure and vibration, but nothing so unpleasant. Soon it was over, and then in a few days my gums were happier and I was relieved to see pretty pink gums :) It's worth it having it done, so try to relax your mind about it :) just keep breathing during it and you'll be fine

They said they will be using Orajex (I believe is what they called it). The hygentist stated that it was a newer thing that they use to numb the mouth without an injection.

Good luck for when you go back.
I'm getting a clean numb on Friday, but that's just me, and my sensitive teeth.
I used to be ok having them cleaned, but not any more. It really hurts me, so I'm getting it numb.
Getting a clean doesn't seem to bother most people, so if you have sensitive teeth or just want it numb, just ask.
I felt silly asking for this, but what does feeling silly matter!!

Back