• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared for Extraction Day, need reassurance...

S

Strive2Cure

Junior member
Joined
Aug 16, 2025
Messages
5
Location
OH, USA
Hi all, I recently joined this forum in hopes to maybe find others who have been in a similar situation that can offer advice. I have severe dental phobia, so much so that I have to do IV sedation even just for cleanings and fillings. Life has thrown a curveball and I now have to have radiation to my neck - my teeth are in horrible shape so they're recommending i get them all out. 30 teeth extractions, 2 bone grafts and 2 implant posts placed all in one appointment under IV moderate sedation. I'm terrified and this is happening on the 19th in just a few days. I'm scared of being aware at all as I've never had any extractions, scared of hearing anything, feeling pain, etc. If anyone has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it! I'm terrified.
 
@Strive2Cure I had 15 extractions at once with only local and Valium prior to the appointment. Felt nothing, heard nothing. Take some ear phones and play your favorite music during the procedure. Also I kept my eyes closed. If I didn’t see what was coming I didn’t feel anything. Let me know how you make out. Good luck.
 
Strive2Cure ,

:welcome::cool::grouphug:Welcome to DFC, We are glad to have you here, that is Alot you are going through, radiation on you neck and then the news and preparation for physically and mentally of 30 teeth extraction with a severe phobia and not really knowing what to expect. What are you most afraid of /concerned for? Do you know your dental team well, get a chance to ask questions and go over the procedure much? Know you are not alone here and you can always vent your concerns and feelings. They are all valid and we are here. I know there are many testimonies of sedation and extraction on here that may encourage you. When you have sedation for your cleaning and fillings how do you do?
 
@krlovesherkids777 Hey, I think I'm most afraid of feeling pain or being aware of the procedure. I'd surely find the nearest window and evacuate. That's the part I'm really grappling with. I usually do ok with IV sedation. I've had it twice before for a deep clean and fillings. I'd usually wake up near the end when they were finishing up and im going to make sure to communicate that with the oral surgeon (we did go over quite a bit and they're very nice but I'll be reiterating this part to them). I just don't want to wake up during. Aside from all that, I'm just scared because I've heard so many bad stories about having dentures taking the joy out of eating,being uncomfortable,etc. I know I need to do it for the greater good, but my fear is strong.
 
It sounds like you have a kind team that will take your questions and anxiety into consideration, that is huge,, its still a big step, and you are super courageous! It is hard to take huge steps like this.. I remember even when I made the decision to get my lower partial and have 5 front teeth out . I can't compare 5 teeth with 30 only give a small encouragement that although Dentures are a huge decision. For me it was a really good one and gave me Alot more self confidence and ultimately they were better than the teeth I did have , though I was used to my other teeth and change is hard. You mentioned 2 implant posts. Will they be implant retained dentures? Do you have a plan for after, resting , soft food, treating yourself to something special ?
 
@krlovesherkids777 I mostly have a plan - I've procured some soft foods as well as stocked up on protein shakes. I wish I had an option to save any of my teeth but with my anxiety levels, it just isn't in the cards, timewise or financially. It's a huge change and I know it'll take time. I just need to make it through E Day, but fear of the unknown is crippling.
 
:grouphug: Sounds like you have a good plan, but it is still hard and a huge change. The anxiety can truly be heavy at time going through huge changes! Yes the fear of the unknown certainly can be crippling,, Is someone supportive coming with you to your treatment? My encouragement would be take one step at a time. Know you are in control , it is your mouth and life and can always stop if you don't have a peace.
 
@krlovesherkids777 my boyfriend will be taking me/bringing me home since I'm having the IV sedation. He's been so supportive - especially through my many crying episodes these past few days. I'm so scared to be aware during the procedure. I barely slept last night :(
 
Strive2Cure, I am thinking of you today!! I'm glad your boyfriend who is supportive is going with you this is huge and you are so courageous. Please let us know how it goes.. :grouphug:
 
Thinking of you today, hoping your appointment is progressing smoothly and that you are unaware of anything happening in your mouth followed by an easy recovery.
 
Hey yall, thank you for the well wishes! I appreciate everyone's replies. I'm now on day 2 of healing. I was completely beside myself with fear when I went in, I almost left and didn't go through with it. They let my boyfriend come back and convince me to just let them start the IV, then if I didn't want to continue, they said I could leave. Well, I was out shortly after they started, I remember nothing of the procedure. The first 24 hours after were brutal, I had a lot of bleeding (I have perio/gingivitis which contributed.) Thankfully with the use of black tea bags, the bleeding is subsiding. It's going to be an adjustment but I'm thankful to have made it through the surgery portion.
 
Back
Top