• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sensitive teeth and skin: no SLS toothpaste

M

Moglet

Hi,

I have developed really sensitive teeth. I was using Colgate ProRelief until I got a horrible itchy rash on my face around my mouth. I don't know it was the toothpaste definitely, but I do have eczema and haven't used wash products that contain sodium lauryl sulphate for the past year (since the eczema started). Before that I used Corsodyl, the old one that doesn't foam, but now I need a sensitive toothpaste. I've been using Sensodyne, which kind of works, but even though it's SLS free, it's still really foamy and I don't think it cleans my teeth as well as Corsodyl. I've been slipping in my eating habits and my dental hygiene since Covid started (stress).

I'm going to the dentist today because I have toothache, but can anyone help re: the toothpaste issue?

(Not sure if I posted this in the right section but it's fine to move it if not).

Thanks ?

Hi Moglet,

good luck at the dentist today, let us know what they told us.
Regarding your ask for help with the toothpaste, I wasn't quite sure what are you looking for? Ideas about a toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulphate?

All the best wishes?

Hi thanks for your reply.

I was looking for a sensitive toothpaste that doesn't foam. Although I went into the chemist today and bought some new Colgate ProRelief toothpaste that doesn't have sodium lauryl sulphate (different from the one I used before) so I'm going to try that.

Dentist was somewhat disappointing. He doesn't think my tooth has an infection as he couldn't see anything on x-ray but I had the tooth next to it out a year ago, no infection visible but it was hidden on the x-ray by my sinuses and sure enough, when he pulled it out it was obviously infected (different dentist this time). He thinks if I see the hygienist (privately so I have to pay for it) and get a cleaning, it will help the sensitivity. He thinks the staining on my teeth might be blocking the sensitive toothpaste from working properly. And the big tooth that he doesn't think is infected, he thinks it's because the root is exposed by gum recession, but it doesn't feel like that because it hurts to bite down and has that "squidgy" feeling. So all I got today was some fluoride coating applied to my teeth. ?

Back