• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sensitivity and pain when chewing after 3 new fillings

M

Mrgnnlsn1

Hi guys,

I am new to this website so bare with me. I went to the dentist around 2 weeks ago and had 3 fillings done. I was told that they were not big nor would they be difficult to fill. 1 of them was in between two of my teeth. 2 fillings were done on the bottom left side and one was done on the bottom right. The experience itself was terrible. I required 3 times the shots because when he started I could still feel everything. Maybe because I was nervous? I think that he may have been rushing as well because it was so intense. After everything was over and the numbness wore off, things seemed fine. I had no soreness or discomfort when biting my teeth together. I had some sensitivity to cold and hot food/liquids but that was it. Over the next day or 2 I realized that when I chewed food on the left side, where the 2 fillings were, I had a "zing" feeling as if the nerve was bothered. It also hurt to floss between the two teeth. The right side was totally fine. I went back several days later and had them check. They took x-rays and said there was no decaying and the fillings looked fine. They checked the bite, the bite was fine. They put some de-sensitizer on the tooth. They told me that the tooth that was bothering me is not even a tooth where a filling was placed. They said to give it two weeks. Its coming up on two weeks and the left side has gotten slightly better but now in the last few days, my RIGHT side is beginning to hurt. It is VERY sensitive to cold/hot and hurts when chewing food on that side. Although I had three cavities, my teeth were in NO PAIN before the trip to the dentist. I trust the dentist and his work but I really would like to know what is going on and how to resolve this. I am going to give it the rest of the 2 weeks and call again if it is not better. When researching my situation everyone says root canal. But if there is no decay, does that make sense that a root canal would be needed. Sorry this is so long. Please respond with your opinions and own personal experiences that you may have had that were similar to this.

Thanks!

nerves get irritated with deep fillings and can take various times to settle down...yes they can also die just from the filling being too close to the nerve and yes then a root canal would be needed but don't jump to that...the first scenario is far more likely. You could also need a bite adjustment. Unless it gets worse I would give it a couple of weeks like you planned and let the area rest as much as you can. Hang in there

Back