• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Several different questions.

G

getitover

I had a bunch of temporary crowns put on at the end of July. The other day I noticed that the back of one feels like it has a hole in it at the top near the gum. What could be the cause of this? Could it be something I've done or not done?

I also noticed some black spots on two different teeth and another by the gum on one of my temporary crowns. I noticed them before I went to the dentist at the beginning of the month, but I was unable to mention them to him because I was sedated, (I would assume that he saw them, though). What could they be?

Also, I woke up this morning and it felt like one of my bottom teeth had shifted. Should I be very concerned about that?

I'm supposed to go back in about a month. Should I try to make an appointment now or just go ahead and wait until then?

In answer to the first question I'd assume the gap at the top is because the crowns are temporary and therefore won't fit that well compared to a permanent crown.

Why are you wearing temps for so long?

annie778 said:
In answer to the first question I'd assume the gap at the top is because the crowns are temporary and therefore won't fit that well compared to a permanent crown.

Why are you wearing temps for so long?

Thanks for your help. :) So, permanent crowns fit better than temporary?

I think they said something about wanting to wait and make sure my gums and stuff were in good shape, or something along those lines, before they put the more expensive permanent ones on.

Thanks for your help. :) So, permanent crowns fit better than temporary?

I think they said something about wanting to wait and make sure my gums and stuff were in good shape, or something along those lines, before they put the more expensive permanent ones on.

Too right they fit better!

I don't understand how your gums can be in good shape after wearing temps but I'm sure a dentist can explain that one to you (I'm not a dentist but I've had temp crowns several times but only for one month max while they were fiddling about making the permanent ones). I do recognise the gap situation because I remember the horrible feel of temps and the awful state of my gums because of them. You can't clean them properly (they are usually all stuck like a bridge) and you can't floss unless you are very brave and use some special contraption zzdentist recommended which looked like a needle threader! I hate temps. Last time I had them I thought my root canal was failing because they made my tooth throb. They are supposed to be very short term and the shorter term the better for your teeth because you can end up contaminating.

annie778 said:
Too right they fit better!

I don't understand how your gums can be in good shape after wearing temps but I'm sure a dentist can explain that one to you (I'm not a dentist but I've had temp crowns several times but only for one month max while they were fiddling about making the permanent ones). I do recognise the gap situation because I remember the horrible feel of temps and the awful state of my gums because of them. You can't clean them properly (they are usually all stuck like a bridge) and you can't floss unless you are very brave and use some special contraption zzdentist recommended which looked like a needle threader! I hate temps. Last time I had them I thought my root canal was failing because they made my tooth throb. They are supposed to be very short term and the shorter term the better for your teeth because you can end up contaminating.

I don't think it's from the actual crowns, but from taking better care of my teeth and gums. I was miserable after they were first put on and the numbness wore off. It was like I had a set of those plastic vampire teeth in. Trying to eat was the worst! But now that I'm used to them, I don't really have any problems (aside from the ones I mentioned). So, the throbbing is normal? I've had some and I've been afraid that mine were failing as well. IIRC, I was told that they can last up to six months or possibly even a year. I trust my dentist and his decisions, but, I have to admit, I'm ready for something permanent.

Hi not sure if the throbbing is normal because when it happened to me I was very worried. The dentist said there was no problem and the tooth does seem to have settled down since the permanent crown was placed. I would have thought temps for six months would be a nightmare to look after as they start to fall apart, but then I suppose they have different types of temp from the robust to the flimsy. How many teeth have the temps on?

annie778 said:
Hi not sure if the throbbing is normal because when it happened to me I was very worried. The dentist said there was no problem and the tooth does seem to have settled down since the permanent crown was placed. I would have thought temps for six months would be a nightmare to look after as they start to fall apart, but then I suppose they have different types of temp from the robust to the flimsy. How many teeth have the temps on?

Thanks for your help. :) I'll mention the throbbing to my dentist next time I see him and see what he says. Six of them do.

I had a bunch of temporary crowns put on at the end of July. The other day I noticed that the back of one feels like it has a hole in it at the top near the gum. What could be the cause of this? Could it be something I've done or not done?

It could be a bit of temporary cement has come out of the gap from brushing leaving a space. If it's not too sensitive you could leave it. Another possibility is that a little bit of the plastic margin has chipped away.

I also noticed some black spots on two different teeth and another by the gum on one of my temporary crowns. I noticed them before I went to the dentist at the beginning of the month, but I was unable to mention them to him because I was sedated, (I would assume that he saw them, though). What could they be?

Sometimes black gunk builds up under margins as fluids and bacteria leak underneath a bit. It's not much to be concerned about as it's easy to clean off before the final impression/insertion.

Also, I woke up this morning and it felt like one of my bottom teeth had shifted. Should I be very concerned about that?

If they haven't taken the impression yet which I'm pretty sure they haven't, it might not be a big deal. You can call them to ask to see if the dentist wants to check the bite and temps to see if maybe a contact wasn't quite right allowing the tooth to shift.

It could be a bit of temporary cement has come out of the gap from brushing leaving a space. If it's not too sensitive you could leave it. Another possibility is that a little bit of the plastic margin has chipped away.

Sometimes black gunk builds up under margins as fluids and bacteria leak underneath a bit. It's not much to be concerned about as it's easy to clean off before the final impression/insertion.

If they haven't taken the impression yet which I'm pretty sure they haven't, it might not be a big deal. You can call them to ask to see if the dentist wants to check the bite and temps to see if maybe a contact wasn't quite right allowing the tooth to shift.

Thanks for your help. I'm a lot less worried now. :)

I have another question. I'm pretty sure that I either clench my teeth or grind them while I'm sleeping (I also chew on my tongue if it gets in the way) and I usually wake up with a sore jaw. I plan on bringing this up to my dentist as soon as I get the chance, but I was wondering if there's anything I can do about it in the meantime?

Definitely mention it to the dentist as he might want to make a nightguard for you. There are some different theories as to why people grind their teeth, but usually a nightguard should hopefully help. There's not a whole lot I can suggest for you in the meantime. You could check with your dentist to get a soft splint made if it is quite bothersome. Usually those can be made in the office, and it's sort of like a sports mouthguard.

Definitely mention it to the dentist as he might want to make a nightguard for you. There are some different theories as to why people grind their teeth, but usually a nightguard should hopefully help. There's not a whole lot I can suggest for you in the meantime. You could check with your dentist to get a soft splint made if it is quite bothersome. Usually those can be made in the office, and it's sort of like a sports mouthguard.

Thanks again. :) I have an appointment in a few weeks, I'll try to mention it then.

Back