• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Shaking

A

adoption97

Tomorrow I am scheduled for an hour appointment with a dentist to have a deep cleaning and fillings--I am unbelievably nervous! I don't know what to expect with the cleaning and filling. Can someone give me some advice??

This is honestly one of the easiest procedures to go through. ;)

I thought getting x-rays were worse than this procedure. The worst part is that they may put pressure on your teeth while scraping, but if it bothers you ask the dentist to either be a bit gentler or to give you a break in-between each tooth.

The needle was the most painful part, if you're worried about pain, but I hated how the dentist did that needle (I've had 5-6 dentists work on my mouth over the last few months and so I know there was a better way).

To be honest, I find cleanings (deep or otherwise) to be pretty easy, I normally opt to not have any numbing for this as I don't find the process uncomfortable but that will obviously depend upon the individual.As far as a filling is concerned, once you are numbed up you should find it a little strange but painless, the best thing to do is to tell your dentist what you do or don't like and (s)he will usually try to accompdate you and go at your pace. On the subject of local anaesthetic injections, it depends upon the dentist but I've found that I barely feel these being done, my dentist is so good at these that on a scale of 0 to 10, the most I've ever experienced would be a 1.

I will be joining you tomorrow as I have part 2 of a root canal then; strangely enough I'm totally calm as the first phase was so easy. It makes all the difference having a great dentist that you trust. Good luck, I'm sure you will fine and I will see you tomorrow on " the other side" ?

Out of curiosity, what is gum flap surgery and what is involved?

you'll be ok! I had a deep cleaning with only topical. No needles. It wasn't as bad as I anticipated and I was really scared too. Fillings, no big deal. Think of how great you'll feel when it's all over!! hugs

Back