• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sharp pain on composite filling

A

alex1515

Background: I got a cavity filled in a month and a half ago. White composite. The cavity was on a back molar on the side, close to the gumline. At first the whole tooth was sensitive to heat/cold and pressure when i ate.

I went back to my dentist a month ago and he adjusted it becasue of the bite problem. He told me to use sensodyne to see if the sensitivity goes away....which it did. so now i have little temp pain and no pressure pain.

However when i touch the side of the tooth, where the filling is, i feel a very sharp pain that last for a split second.
to be more specific, i can poke with my fingernail the filling and it only hurts at a specific point. if i move my finger nail slightly off this point but still on the filling i don't feel the sharp pain.

i went back two weeks ago and the dentist said i might need a root canal if it does not get better in a week.

I am really confused of why this pain is happening...and i am very scared of a root canal. And if i do need one they are going to give me one whether i wait 1 week or a month or longer right?

So i guess i am wondering why this pain is happening and second if it is a bad idea to wait it out while hoping.

Last edited:
Actually i just remembered....before i got the filling i would get the same type, but less severe pain when i pushed with my fingernail where the cavity used to be.

i had this sensation that i was pushing in the tooth and thats why it hurt...although i am probably not.

i get the same sensation when i push on the filling, like it is being depressed slightly..although i doubt it is.

this is sooo confusing

I had a root canal a year ago with just regular needle anesthetic and did not feel a thing. Maybe it was a good dentist but I felt more when I had cavities filled before than I did with root canal.

Um, stop pushing on the filling? :innocent: You don't mention any ache, and you say the chewing pain is gone sooooOOOooooOOOooo maybe just leave it be and see if it settles down over time? I find that some dentists unfortunately tend to default to the "if it doesn't settle down, we'll have to do a root canal" solution without a whole lot of effort in the diagnosis department.

It's sort of like saying hmmm if that heart pain doesn't go away, we might have to do a heart transplant before doing more investigation.

You might be pressing along the enamel/filling margin which might have a slight exposed spot that could explain the sensitivity. It's hard to say. One other possbility might be that a certain part of the filling isn't completely cured so slight pressure in a specific direction might be creating micro-movement in the filling causing a response in the tubules. Or it could be perfectly cured, but due to flexure in that direction it's illicting a response.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it gets worse, is creating a problem, or affects your ability to eat. If the filling is fine otherwise, sometimes the nerve can compensate and shield off the sensitive area.

Back