• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Shattered wisdom tooth, broken molar and an infection

S

Screwed

Let me start by saying I never go to the dentist... About 10 years ago one of my back teeth cracked and I ignored it. Since then, chunks of it have worn away. Meanwhile I still have all my wisdom teeth and one of them shattered to the gum line. I igored that too. Then a couple weeks ago my crown and post from an old root canal came out so I finally gave in and went to the dentist. He pulled the rest of the tooth under the crown and it went really well. I was going to come back in a couple weeks to have the other ones pulled. Meanwhile my face swelled on the side with the broken molar and wisdom tooth. To make a long Story short I wound up in the hospital with an abscess and cellulitis in my face from the molar. It's basically cleared up with maybe a tiny bit of swelling. Tomorrow I am having the shattered wisdom tooth extracted as well as the broken molar and am terrified of the infection coming back and also of the pain especially of the shattered wisdom tooth! I also heard that novacane doesn't work if tooth is infected. Anyone have anything like this before?

Oh dear you have been in the wars :XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug: They will be able to get you numb so if you feel anything at all then do let them know and they can top up the numbing stuff.

I had a rct on an infected tooth and never felt anything when they were working on the tooth. Try not to worry too much.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on please :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Well, my general dentist gave it all he could... He is wonderful and if anyone in Chicago needs a good dentist let me know. I couldn't get numb, whether it was from infection or anxiety... Thankfully he knew when to say when and got me in right away at a local oral surgeon. I was a nervous wreck, declined iv sedation but he was able to get me numb. His assistant was so sweet... I kept my iPod cranked loud and they asked me if I wanted an eye cover, which I think helped a ton! I was in and out super fast and am planning to go to work tomorrow! I didn't feel a thing!

WhoooooooHoooooooooooo :jump::jump::jump: good for you and your dentist needs a medal. I am really pleased that the people that dealt with you were so understanding and helpful towards you :cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::butterfly:

I'm so glad your horror story ended well! YAY !!! You deserved a break for sure. I am very glad your dentist knew when to stop and got you into other helping hands asap. Even more happy for you that they were kind to you, got you numb and you didn't feel a thing. I'm sure you've had enough mouth pain to last a lifetime. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Back