• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should i be worried?

L

Ldennis98

Hello, my back wisdom tooth has partially come through. Its growing straight but it's very sore and I'm struggling to eat. It hurts a abit when I swallow and my jaw is sore to touch. I've looked in there and its partially through and the gum around it is slightly inflamed but not red. The gum seems to be covering the tooth slightly so I've been cleaning it religiously and taking anti inflammatories. I cant get an appointment at the moment. Does this warrant an appointment or can I solve this myself. Snapchat-1175842948.jpg

Hi there,

not a dentist and having it checked to see whether the tooth has enough space or not is a good thing, but I don't think it's extra urgent. Gums around wisdom teeth can cause troubles sometimes because the spot is more difficult to clean so some redness or soreness is quite common. Keeping it extra clean sounds like a good approach. Hope the soreness subsides soon and also that you will be able to get an appointment soon.

You mentioned taking anti inflammatories. What exactly do you mean by that?

All the best wishes

Hi there,

not a dentist and having it checked to see whether the tooth has enough space or not is a good thing, but I don't think it's extra urgent. Gums around wisdom teeth can cause troubles sometimes because the spot is more difficult to clean so some redness or soreness is quite common. Keeping it extra clean sounds like a good approach. Hope the soreness subsides soon and also that you will be able to get an appointment soon.

You mentioned taking anti inflammatories. What exactly do you mean by that?

All the best wishes

Thanks for your reply! I'm taking painkillers that will help inflammation :) using a water flosser aswell with warm salt water, its bled a couple of times when doing this but not much. I'm just worried about infection as my jaw is sore to touch. But I keep reassuring myself that its clean, theres no redness or pus, my cheek isnt swollen. It's just sore and inflamed and extremely uncomfortable. Just seems to be getting worse

Back