• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Slight chipped front upper tooth...dentist says do nothing.

Yourbigpalal83

Yourbigpalal83

Hey guys.
Been years since ive been to this site, and in that time ive matained perfect dental health. No cavaties, new fillings, etc.

To those few that may remember me i was a dental hypocondraic..and in a way its good cause it taught me to take care of my teeth. I also used that skill to take care of my body and went from over 500 pounds, to 350 and still loosing weight, naturally.

Anyhow, recently i was playing a game of basketball, and i took a blow to my mouth. I slightly chipped a tooth to my left of my two central front teeth.

Of course being paranoid, i went to a local dentist as soon as they could fit me in, and they took X-rays and said i was fine. (digital xrays, from my understanding are much much better and clearer then the old film ones). The nerves are in top shape and no signs of cracks (i also did a at home transillumation test too using a fiber optic light and dident see any signs of cracks outside of the normal crazed lines)

The dentist dident even look at the tooth closley with a light or mirror..he said i was fine, did the right thing by checking on them and sent me on my way.

When i asked, should we file the chip down or what ever he said leave it, as he dident wana put any trama on it. When i asked about cracking or anything he said it should be fine. It was just the way he went all about this and kinda rushed me out the door that was off putting.

I guess in a way thats good cause he dident see any way to make money off me with un nessary treatment and schedualed me for a checkup in 6 weeks.

Is that right? Leave this for 6 weeks, do nothing, no bonding or anything. Its a very minor chip just in the enamel not even into the dentine and I'm prob just being really paranoid which i deffently wouldent put it past me.

But in 6 weeks can he file it down or bond it...i got a body distemic disorder and i hate leaving this flaw, athough its not the biggest flaw in my mouth, i got some naturally misshaped teeth and one that dident fill in all the way.

Any help here just for extra piece of mind would be great.

Thanks

Al

Hey guys.

But in 6 weeks can he file it down or bond it...i got a body distemic disorder and i hate leaving this flaw, athough its not the biggest flaw in my mouth, i got some naturally misshaped teeth and one that dident fill in all the way.

Al

Chips like this can make someone seem cuter. It becomes part of who you are making you unique. You're bound to be able to have it bonded, but why bother? Telling someone the story of how you got your chip playing basketball sounds so cool. Unless it needs to be filled for a good dental reason learn to love your chip.

Na it mess with me. Im going to see what we can do about it in a few weeks. Its just the guy i went to totally dident seem like he cared one bit. I mean, he dident even visually look at it with the mirror. Just took some xrays, glanced at them for a few seconds...i looked at them longer then he did, and said i could go. I was in there a grand total of 10-15 minunts...

Just...yeah i am paranoid..i understand that, but i dont feel like he did much of anything...like he could totally care less, and i just want piece of mind that my front teeth arent going to suddleny break..

Any chance of a photo? Really small chips off enamel are a real bugger to fix, believe it or not bigger ones are easier!

Sure.

[broken link to image removed]

It's the one over from the central incisor...

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a small chip into the enamel, there's absolutely no harm in leaving it or smoothing off the enamel at the edges to even it out. It would be tricky to fix but it's doable if you're happy with it popping back off every now and then.

I've had a chip in in my bottom front teeth for probably 15 years. I just happened to bite down wrong on something, and I bit the prong of the fork I was using. I don't think anyone has ever noticed it. I wonder if the dentist I am seeing now even really notices it, because she has never even brought it up.
Was the dentist you went to your regular dentist? Maybe if not, go there, and see what answer you get.

Back