• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Small, painless swollen gum below/between teeth..It's been a year, what do I do?

J

Jen908

Small, painless swollen gum below/between teeth..It's been a year, what do I do?

Hello,

I've always had a fear of dentists naturally that were worsened by some very bad experiences in my childhood when it was only supposed to be checkups E.G surgery I was forced into, fillings without numbing agent etc. I have not been into a dentist a good few years but have been trying to take care of my teeth so I didn't have to.

Roughly a year ago my gum began swelling sort of between my bottom canine and incisor, it wasn't painful and was slightly squishy. It's always slightly sore looking and doesn't seem to have any liquid inside of it. I've left it so long now I've come to ignore it but as of recently my family are trying to urge me to book a dentist appointment and I am adamant on not wanting to go.

Can I go on ignoring it?

Regards,

Jen.

Re: Small, painless swollen gum below/between teeth..It's been a year, what do I do?

Short answer - No - Do not continue to ignore it.

My immediate reaction when you say 'soft squishy lump' is abcess. Abcesses can be asymptotic meaning they can be present without any symptoms of discomfort. Accesses can at best lead to further dental issues and at worst be hazardous to your health.

Beyond that, don't let previous bad experiences put you off. I did and I am paying for it in later life.

Get to the dentist, if you don't like them go to another until you find one you are comfortable with.

Best of luck!

Re: Small, painless swollen gum below/between teeth..It's been a year, what do I do?

Unfortunately despite how good our home care is sometimes plaque develops between teeth and near or under the gum line. This can also cause that type of imflammation. You may just need a good professional cleaning. Does that spot ever bleed when you brush or floss? I wouldn't ignore it as that constant inflammation can cause gum and tooth issues down the line leading to bone loss and receeding gums. You may not be that far along yet and the sooner you get checked out, the better chance it's reversable or easier to treat.

Back