• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So afraid to have an oral extraction (non wisdom tooth)

K

kgal34

Can anyone please share with me your experience with having an oral extraction where you had a broken tooth and were you awake for it? Im afraid to be sedated and if Im awake Im afraid of the numbing sensation and the blood loss after they cut my gum. I have to get this procedure after having an abcess occur in the tooth about 2 weeks ago, it went way down after one round of amoxicillan but I know it will come back... and the gum is now beginning to flare up a bit inside the broken tooth and redness is around the gumline some... Help please, this is keeping me up tonight...eek! So afraid!! Im 34 and I feel like I need someone to hold my hand!!! Lol:cry:

Can anyone please share with me your experience with having an oral extraction where you had a broken tooth and were you awake for it? Im afraid to be sedated and if Im awake Im afraid of the numbing sensation and the blood loss after they cut my gum. I have to get this procedure after having an abcess occur in the tooth about 2 weeks ago, it went way down after one round of amoxicillan but I know it will come back... and the gum is now beginning to flare up a bit inside the broken tooth and redness is around the gumline some... Help please, this is keeping me up tonight...eek! So afraid!! Im 34 and I feel like I need someone to hold my hand!!! Lol:cry:

Hello I am as terrified as you...I have a tooth broken right through the root and after lots of messing had it extracted last Wednesday. I am not going to say it was brilliant because it wasn't. But because I was agitated and making the dentist nervous I have a root left that he wants to send me to have out at the hospital. Which is worse because now I feel exactly like you do. I will be honest with you, at the moment I have lots of pain from the mauling of my mouth. I have a dry socket because it was a difficult extraction and I feel rubbish and tearful. But you know what? More than anything I want this other bit of root out of my mouth so I can heal. I have had 7 extractions all together in the last 15 years. Five of them were a walk in the park - infection underneath, antibiotics for a week, pull the tooth, healed and never another problem. The sixth tooth was a wisdom tooth and that was an ordeal getting it out, dry socket (because I used a straw) and loads of pain for a week afterwards. This last one, well I told you all that already.

Now the thing is, they might have been 2/7 crappy extractions and I haven't felt the best in the world but you know something???? Those teeth are NEVER going to give me any trouble again. So book an appointment when someone can go in and hold your hand (I am 43 and still have someone to hold my hand!!) put some music on so you cannot hear the carrying on around you, the pinch of the needle is nothing and then just relax and let the dentist do his job. Once it's over, no smoking, spitting, sucking for 24 hours, take you painkillers and then saltwater rinses after 24 hours. Within the week you will be wondering why you were so terrified.

I will just copy and paste my post from 2 months ago when I had mine out. I was terrified as well. good luck to you

30th December 2014 19:44
I'm ok!! I did it! and it's over and I'm ok! the waiting and the setting up was scary. They put me on a thing to monitor my blood pressure and then left me alone because he was still working on someone else, I was an emergency squeeze in appointment so they were really busy. It was scary watching my blood pressure go higher and higher every time the machine tested me at 5 minute intervals.​
Nitrous did nothing for me either but I think more of it blew in my eye than it did up my nose! I just squeezed my eyes shut tight and gripped the chair. he was really good with the shots and didn't hurt me at all. I don't know what he used but it worked much faster than the usual stuff I have been given (in 18 shots these last 2 months!)​
he checked me to see if I was numb and when I said I was... he started working. I never looked. they made me gag once with whatever they were doing and that really scared me bad. there was only one small scary noise which I think may not even have been my tooth but may have been my 1200 dollar crown cracking. in literally less than 2 minutes he said my name and asked can you hear me? well of course I can hear you I didn't get sedation but all I can do is say umgh with tools in my mouth. it's out he said, it's over. it was fractured and that is where all your pain came from. I gave you 2 stitches, it's all over.​
then some giggly girl came and gripped my arm as if I was going to faint or something and walked me to a room with a couch and pillows and said I could lay down, but I said no I would rather stay upright. she asked me if I felt silly? no I didn't. I just wanted to go get my pain meds and go home!​
They kept me there about 20 minutes. I guess to make sure I didn't bleed too much. they said they are going to call me tomorrow to make sure I'm ok. He gave me antibiotics but he said it is just to prevent infection. he said my socket looks good, no sign of infection at all. all my pain was from the fracture. since that pain started the second the Novocain wore off from my filling I know that shoddy dentist did this to me!​
I have a swollen face but I already have less pain than I did before I got it out, and yes I waited for the numbness to wear off before I told you that so yay! I have 3 days worth of Vicodin but I don't think I will even need that many. I am using an ice pack and I ate some apple sauce already. It tasted icky because I am still bleeding but I didn't want to take the Vicodin on an empty stomach​
It feels really weird. and because it's on the bottom and my tongue lays there I feel edges of the tooth behind and the tooth in front where my tongue never touched before. I don't like it but I guess I will get used to it. I am not ready to even consider the possibility of doing anything to replace it. I am just so relieved that it is over and no matter what ever happens I will never have another appointment for that tooth. I am sad it's gone and I am angry at the first dentist for doing this to me and making my fear worse, but it is over.​

Back