• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So, I cancelled yet another appointment

M

Missy Ann

This is the 3rd one I've cancelled in 3 weeks. The thought of having 3 front teeth removed is proving too much for me. Although I'm due to have IV sedation that isn't easing my fears as I've had it twice before and the last time wasn't good.

I feel for you. I was in terror of my root canal. The only thing that forced me to go was the intolerable pain. I hope you'll be able to get yourself in before your problems get worse and give you no alternative.

Hello again.

We know how you feel. Most of the contibutors here went through the same pain and fear.

Just think about it, after the procedure, you will be pain free! In my experience, i was so relieved after.

Most of the people here have delayed their dental appointments as well including me, some even longer than 10 to 15 years. Only to find out that it was too late for us. I hope the same doesnt happen to you.

I understand what you're going through. I really do. I hope all is well at the moment and i hope that you feel better and get the treatment soon.

You are in our thoughts and prayers. God bless.

This is the 3rd one I've cancelled in 3 weeks. The thought of having 3 front teeth removed is proving too much for me. Although I'm due to have IV sedation that isn't easing my fears as I've had it twice before and the last time wasn't good.

Can you pin down exactly what it is that's making you want to cancel?

If it feels like it's all too much, then often the answer is to break it down into smaller steps and work on them one at a time. Instead of looking at all your fears in a great big heap (that would look overwhelming to anybody!), maybe you can identify what one or two of them are and work on those first.

For example, you could contact your dentist to talk to them about your concerns over IV sedation and what made it bad the last time - they may be able to help avoid the same thing happening again. Suddenly the overwhelming pile is just a little bit smaller.

Would that help?

Also, don't be too hard on yourself! As others have said, it's common to have a couple of false starts before you actually make it, you will get there in the end!