• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So I got the date through for my wisdom tooth removal but not happy

  • Thread starter Thread starter amy2311
  • Start date Start date
A

amy2311

Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
27
Location
Bristol
So the NHS have decided that I am to wait 4.5 week more for my extraction, so I phoned the hospital up this morning to ask if they have anything earlier with ANY surgeon which they don't, - in all fairness I wasn't surprised. But I am now also on the cancellation list thingy-me-jig which means IF and I mean IF someone cancels I will be called in sooner but I am not sure, I can't go 4.5 weeks taking codeine or ibuprofen as it is not good for me at all. I actually hope that someone does cancel but I am not hopeful. I am getting all worked up because I don't really want it done and this wait is making me want it done less as each passing day goes by, the only thing reminding me that I need it done is the pain. The NHS really have no regard for patients with a phobia at all, do they realise that the excessive wait is causing anxiety and could be making me ill?!?!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::mad:

I needed that rant, still want it sooner though - I should have wished on a shooting star the other night, but nothing changes the fact I still really don't want it done
 
I know what you mean - I had to wait 6 weeks for my wisdom teeth appointment and although I healed really quickly I'm still getting over the stress of the wait 2 months later (I keep getting sick because my immune system took such a beating from the fear). Just to reassure you though that the wait is the worst part of the procedure by far. I would rather have had it done twice over and not had the wait! Do you have anything else to help with the pain? If its because of an infection can you get antibiotics - it will make sure the extration isnt painful at all.
 
I've been waiting since April (inital referral), I am waiting to see how to goes today, so far so good, as it might be my jaw playing up instead of the tooth so I need to wait and see, I need it done sooner rather than later because soon I will be undergoing the test for endometriosis but they won't do it if they fear that the stress might be causing my pain... so I really hope someone gets ill etc because then I will be better and can go have my endo test and then go back to uni, all well and then attempt not to FAIL
 
I know the wait is terrible and if you are in pain it makes it all the more worse. You have done all you can, I would add that what I would do as well is to ring up the hospital every few days and say something like, 'I am sorry to bother you again but I just wondered if there was any change or cancellations, as I would really like to be able to come in sooner if possible', you can always end by thanking who ever you speak to for their time and for the help they have given you. Even if they haven't given you much, but that way you will remain in their head and they may be more inclined to contact you first if a cancellation comes up. If you can get a nice pleasant conversation going it will make you feel that you are doing all you can and it will keep you fresh in their minds.

I hope you do get a cancellation soon, if not I hope the time will pass quickly, try and keep as busy as you can. It might make the time pass quicker for you. Although when we want something to happen it takes forever, a bit like watching a kettle boil.

I am sorry but I cannot remember if you have a regular dentist but if you do could they give you something a bit better for the pain, and check that you have no infection.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:
 
I have a regular dentist whom I hate ¬_¬, but I have to see them Wednesday anyway, but something says this might not be a wisdom tooth pain because it seems to be worse after using my jaw :/ I have TMJ problems so I am wondering if my jaw has finally given up, I wouldn't be surprised if given the way I use my jaw, if it becomes arthritic in a few years time:hmm:
 
Oh I see, I have felt that through my life that I have always had a painful mouth, not toothache just aching all the time at times.
They have left me for years thinking I was imagining it, but knowing that it isn't in my head. It is only recently that I got a copy of my dental records that on there it says TMJ. So I know how painful it is, at the moment my jaw is giving me trouble which is very draining. I have found that painkillers don't do much either. I do have arthritis so my dentist that I see now thinks this is making things a whole lot worse.

Non of this helps you, but I have told you so that you can see I do understand your pain, I do hope you can get to the hospital sooner as the stress can make the TMJ worse as well as we tend to clench when worried. Try and be aware of this when you are awake as I often don't realise I am doing it until all of a sudden I am aching and then have to prise my teeth apart, but by that time I have caused myself a headache.

Is your dentist doing anything about your TMJ. I am hoping my new one will when I go back. :butterfly:

Why don't you like your dentist?
 
Not really, he said that nothing can be done, (I know that is not true) and because he was the one that caused my phobia and he recently returned, the women I saw the last few times was really nice but she is only a locum that came in to take on a few patients, however I don't want to stay in a place that makes me feel bad, its not nice for what little sanity I have left!:giggle:
 
I remember now, I read your other thread, I would start looking for another dentist now. You may have to stay where you are for the moment but staying will not help you in the slightest. What a shame this man had to come back.

I wish you well and I hope you can manage to find another dentist :butterfly:
 
me too, sadly all the decent ones are private and being a student = poor which means No hope for the time being :'(.

EDIT: going to see how the tooth is after lunch as I haven't eaten today :/ and see if tis worse then as if so I will ask for some advice
 
Is he the only dentist at the practice. Does the hospital where you are going have a dental dept, if so could you go there, it would be students but they are watched by some very good senior dentists.

If not I am sorry I don't know the answer, only to keep your eyes open for another NHS dentist, if one opens up in your area.

Could you travel a little bit further to go to a dentist, maybe the next town?
 
thankfully not, but the other dentist is only a couple of days a week, besides because I have one year left of uni, and after than I plan to move to another town to do postgraduate it means looking for a new dentist again in 12 months :'(, give it a year and I will be rooting down for at least 3-4 years to get my PHD
 
Back
Top