• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

SO scared! Freaking out and panicking over hole in bottom of tooth right near gumline!

E

Ellie721

Trying to calm down my panic attack. I am ready to have all my teeth extracted!

Hello,

I am brand new to this site for posting, I have, however, read numerous posts leading up to my root canal I just had last week.

My root canal was the most nerve-wracking thing I have dealt with up until this point. Tonight, I felt something sharp against my cheek while eating. I have been extra interested in the sensations my mouth is feeling this past week since my root canal (in fear that it has failed) ANYWAYS, upon looking into the mirror, I realized that one of my back molars (not a wisdom tooth I had that removed) has a hole in the bottom of it. This is NOT the tooth I had the root canal on, that was on the completely other side of my mouth. Anyways, it was really hard to get pictures of it. Please no bashing of my teeth, I have spent the past 2 years trying really hard to get my teeth in decent condition.

Anyways, my husband looked at it and said it looks cracked with a hole near the gumline. I honestly though swear I have had that "line" on my tooth for like ever now and it's how it grew in. It does not hurt, I can brush it, drink hot/cold items, and have no issues with it.

Not only does my dental insurance SUCK, but I am SO scared of having it pulled or needing another root canal. I am running out of money and have already racked up a pretty hefty bill of a couple thousand dollars between my fillings and root canal this year. :(

The picture was hard to take and really hard to show it. it's a tiny hole in the bottom of the tooth, and that is a piece of my gum you are seeing there, not a blister or abcess or anything.

So, if it was cracked it would hurt right? Will I need it pulled? A root canal? Or just a filling? I included 2 photos.

I have a dentist appt on Tuesday to put a post and permanent filling in my root canal tooth, can I wait until then or should I call first thing in the morning? I am FREAKING OUT and I am extremely scared pain.

edited to add:::: there is definitely some type of hole because the tooth is sharp where that is and keeps scratching my cheek every now and then and I did get a little food stuck in there (easily washed out when using mouth wash)

Attachments

• 32506454_253423385231107_6659693628237021184_n.jpg
    32506454_253423385231107_6659693628237021184_n.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 32714398_253423445231101_6185842754191360000_n.jpg
    32714398_253423445231101_6185842754191360000_n.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 44
Trying to calm down my panic attack. I am ready to have all my teeth extracted!

Hey, honestly it does look cracked you may want to check that out at the dentist. I had an unfortunate experience where I didn’t realize my tooth was cracked. I kept eating on that side until one day I was chewing gum and literally felt my tooth chip. And before that happened I wasn’t experiencing any pain or other symptoms. Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Re: SO scared! Freaking out and panicking over hole in bottom of tooth right near gumline!

It's a decayed cavity, looks like it's started near the gum line. It's hard to tell the extent of it from your photo (which is very good BTW, it's just hard to tell in 2D what's going on!).

It'll be fine to leave it till you see your dentist again next week.

Re: SO scared! Freaking out and panicking over hole in bottom of tooth right near gumline!

Hey everyone! SO I panicked myself so much I opted to go in right away and have them look at it. It's not cracked, but I did have a pretty decent size cavity/decay at the bottom. They filled it and I am good to go. Just have to be more careful at making sure I get down in between the gum and tooth when I am brushing. :grin:

Back