• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So scared is this a crack, please help (photo attached)

S

Sarah18

I think this tooth has a crack in it and I'm petrified I will need it extracting.

I've attached a photo the rest of the tooth looks and feels really strong but the top corner is where the crack looks like it could be.

My dentist said my teeth are fine from looking at them and xrays.

Is it likely this tooth will have to be extracted if that is a crack?

I'm so scared

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200119-173218_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200119-173218_Gallery.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 45
Anyone? Sending myself crazy here ??

Hi Sarah18,
It is difficult to be 100% sure from the photo. It could be a crack or it could be just a stained natural groove in the tooth.
If it is the start of a crack, then your options are either just keep it under review, or try to reinforce the tooth by having a covering made for it called a crown or onlay. The decision would be made after discussing the risks vs the benefits with your dentist.
Worth having a chat with him or her.
Lincoln

Hi Sarah18,
It is difficult to be 100% sure from the photo. It could be a crack or it could be just a stained natural groove in the tooth.
If it is the start of a crack, then your options are either just keep it under review, or try to reinforce the tooth by having a covering made for it called a crown or onlay. The decision would be made after discussing the risks vs the benefits with your dentist.
Worth having a chat with him or her.
Lincoln

Thank you so much for replying, i really appreciate it. I'm going to try and phone in morning. I don't have any sensitivity to cold or hot, sometimes a bit of pain when biting down.

With that is there normally options like root canal and crown before extraction

I've just checked my gums and can feel a small bump at the bottom of my gum under this tooth, I'm really scared it's serious. It doesn't hurt.

I had xrays done the other day and no sign of abscess or infection could it still be that?

Struggle really badly with anxiety and feel so scared at moment

Again thank you for your time

Sarah18, you are welcome.

Try biting down on something like a toothbrush handle and hold the bite of a few seconds before releasing the pressure. It you feel a slight twinge when you release the pressure as opposed to when you apply the pressure then you make well have a crack.
If you do have a crack the treatment can vary from just a filling to a root canal and crown. Yes, some cracks are untreatable but you symptoms are quite mild so hopefully this is not the case for you.
If you can feel very hot or cold stimuli on the tooth then it is unlikely that you have an abscess.

Try biting down on something like a toothbrush handle and hold the bite of a few seconds before releasing the pressure. It you feel a slight twinge when you release the pressure as opposed to when you apply the pressure then you make well have a crack.
If you do have a crack the treatment can vary from just a filling to a root canal and crown. Yes, some cracks are untreatable but you symptoms are quite mild so hopefully this is not the case for you.
If you can feel very hot or cold stimuli on the tooth then it is unlikely that you have an abscess.

Thank you again I will try that, if it was a serious crack would I be likely to be in a lot of pain?

Just so I understand could you just explain the hot or cold stimuli on the tooth to me regarding the abscess?

Any thoughts why I could have a lump under my gum by the jawline?

1 more question would a badly cracked tooth, an abscess or infection not be seen on an xray?

Not necessarily.
Do you have a lump? Has it come up recently?
To get an abscess/infection the nerve in the tooth has to be dead, dead nerves aren't sensitive to hot and cold, hence Lincoln's comment about sensation.

Not necessarily.
To get an abscess/infection the nerve in the tooth has to be dead, dead nerves aren't sensitive to hot and cold, hence Lincoln's comment about sensation.

Thank you for your reply, I have a small lump under my gum under that tooth and a dull ache, what could this mean? Nothing showed up on xray. Really worried and petrified thinking the worst.

Thank you for explaining about the sensation.

When I bite down I get a sharp pain on release

Not necessarily.

After testing my tooth it's extremely sensitive to cold.

I'm still really concerned about this lump near the tip of the root, I've spent all day on Google which I know I shouldn't but reading about cysts and how this could be cancer.
I can't see the lump it's only when I press on my gums with my finger I can feel it, it's a bit sensitive but doesn't hurt. I have the dull ache/dull throbbing in that tooth still

I've got an appointment on Tuesday but I'm going out of my mind with worry and have a holiday coming up but I can't get put of my head that it may be really serious, my anxiety is getting the better of me.

I've tried testing with cold and it's really sensitive especially on the side to cold I can't keep anything on it for long.

Really worried about the lump underneath being a cyst and being cancerous.

Any idea why a small bump under the root would be there, can't see it just feel it when I run my finger over the gum

Going out of my mind with worry reading about biopsies and cysts online

You've not got cancer, it simply doesn't show up like that in the mouth. A cyst is not a tumour either btw.
I can't make a guess what's going on, your description is just too vague, sorry. Wait til your dentist can check it on Tuesday.
Just to reiterate, it's absolutely, definitely not cancer :)

You've not got cancer, it simply doesn't show up like that in the mouth. A cyst is not a tumour either btw.
I can't make a guess what's going on, your description is just too vague, sorry. Wait til your dentist can check it on Tuesday.
Just to reiterate, it's absolutely, definitely not cancer :)

Thank you for your reply and reassurance

I went to the dentist and bit surprised as he checked it and said it was fine. Did a cold check on it and no problem, tappes that tooth and ones around it no problem and checked the gum, said the lump was soft tissue and nothing wrong at all definitely not an abscess or cancer.

Had an xray of the 3 teeth showing the roots and they are all perfect.

I don't quite understand where all the pain and aching has or does come from. He seems to think it's from me clenching but seems hard to see that.

Could there be something like a fracture they are missing even when the whole tooth looks completely healthy on the xray?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me

When doing the tests did he ask you to bite down on a plastic stick, hold the pressure then release to test for pain on releasing the bite?

Back