• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So upset and angry

  • Thread starter Thread starter Starlight25
  • Start date Start date
S

Starlight25

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2009
Messages
405
Location
England
Hi
So I went to the dentist a private one as I was in pain and couldn’t find an nhs dentist I haven’t been since before Covid as ours closed down and I was fairly sure I needed a lot of work doing I’ve had an eating disorder and had one tooth causing pain. The dentist did X-rays and said I needed one extraction and a good clean and that there was one tooth that had a tiny filling required but it wasn’t worth doing it yet and she would check it next time ( in 6 months). I said I was worried as that tooth looks grey like the entire front looks grey she said it was just a tiny filling and it was fine to leave it. I said the tooth above it I could feel a hole ? She looked again and said no that’s part of normal tooth structure and not a hole and to stop worrying. So I had the extraction then went for the clean I was still worried so I asked the hygienist about the colour of that tooth she said it looked dead then said the tooth above it ( the one I thought had a hole ) was also grey up the back I didn’t know that I can’t see the back of it when I told her what the dentist said she said to take the dentists advice as she wasn’t a dentist but if it looked worse when I had my next clean in 3 months she would tell me so I can bring my appointment forwards. Three weeks later my tooth the one that needed a tiny filling broke the top broke off it is grey inside.
So by the most incredible luck i managed to track down my nhs dentist who had moved to a surgery 45 minutes away he agreed to take me on the nhs ( amazing because my mum actually paid for the private dentist for me just so I could get sorted out ) Today I had my first appointment with him had X-rays and ….. the tiny filling one yeah that’s a big filling it needs to repair the tooth, the one above it the one I thought had a hole in and the hygienist said the back of it was grey ? Yep it is a hole and yep the grey means it needs a large filling. Other side is a failing filling that also should have been spotted. The private dentist somehow missed two teeth that have massive issues and a third with a different issue my dentist showed me my X-rays and explained what to look for he said to look for a difference in colour it’s not always super obvious then asked me to see if I could see the problem so I looked and pointed I was correct so I can spot on my X-rays what the private dentist couldn’t ? I can find a hole she couldn’t and I was correct to be very concerned by the tooth being grey cause yeah it broke.
I was doing so well going to the dentist trusting them this was a private dentist I’m explaining that because being expensive I assumed it was like private medical care so somehow better as they have more time for you and now I’m just so upset why didn’t they listen to me why tell me it was fine when it’s not !!!
I am so grateful to have my nhs dentist back and have an appointment in two weeks to do two of the fillings then another a week later to do the last one only because I have tmj and not sure how long I can keep my mouth open he did offer to do them all at the same time.
Now I feel like I should do something but what ? If I complain will they even listen to me ? I don’t want anything other than to stop someone else going through what I have they are surely big mistakes to make with a patient ? I have my treatment plan from them with just the clean and one extraction on it and I have my new treatment plan from the nhs dentist showing what actually needs doing. I just don’t know what to do I have ocd and adhd and I’m sat here worrying I need to do something just to stop it happening to someone else.
Thankyou for reading :)
 
@Starlight25 Hi. The same kind of thing happened to me with a dentist not noticing something because the dentist that I see didn't notice that I have tooth decay in both of my back teeth that are next to each other on the right side of my mouth and it got a lot worse because I got an infection and an abscess near both of those teeth so now I have to have the two teeth taken out. I am very upset that the dentist didn't notice the tooth decay and that the dentist didn't sort the problem out before it got worse and that I need the extractions. I also need to have a cleaning and have a filling done and I am upset that I need the filling done again because the dentist and the hygienist have both done the filling on that tooth before and both of those fillings fell out. I just want you to know that you have my support and I understand what you are going through. I think you and me should put complaints in about the dentists that we see.
 
Hi @Starlight25, so sorry to hear about what happened to you. Unfortunately, in dentistry like in any other profession, there are good and bad apples, and that holds for private dentists as well. We've put together some ideas on how to separate the wheat from the chaff here:

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/find-a-dentist/good-vs-bad/

It's great that you want to make sure that others don't suffer the same fate as yourself!! I asked Gemini AI for a step-by-step guide on how to complain about a private dentist in the UK, and here is the result:

Step 1: Complain Directly to the Dental Practice​



The first and most important step is to raise your complaint directly with the dental practice. This is often the quickest way to resolve an issue.

  • How to complain: You can do this in person, by phone, or—for a more formal record—in writing (via email or letter).
  • Find their procedure: All dental practices are required to have a clear complaints procedure. Ask the reception or practice manager for a copy, or check the practice's website.
  • What to include: Clearly explain what happened, when it happened, and what you would like the outcome to be (e.g., an apology, a refund, or for the treatment to be fixed).
Most issues can be resolved at this stage, which is known as "local resolution."




Step 2: Escalate to the Dental Complaints Service (DCS)​



If you are not satisfied with the practice's final response, or if you don't receive a response within the timeframe set out in their procedure, you can escalate your complaint.

For private dental treatment, the correct independent body to contact is the Dental Complaints Service (DCS).

What is the DCS? The DCS is a free, impartial, and independent service funded by the General Dental Council (GDC). Its role is to help resolve complaints between patients and private dental professionals.
  • What they can help with: The DCS mediates complaints and can help you seek:
    • An apology
    • A full or partial refund
    • A contribution towards the cost of remedial (corrective) treatment
  • What they cannot do: The DCS cannot award compensation. If you are seeking compensation for pain, suffering, or other expenses, you would need to seek independent legal advice.
  • Time Limit: You should normally contact the DCS within 12 months of the treatment taking place or within 12 months of becoming aware of the issue.
You can contact the Dental Complaints Service through their website (which has an online form) or by phone.




When to Contact Other Organisations​



Depending on the nature of your complaint, the DCS may not be the right organisation.



🚨 For Serious Misconduct (General Dental Council)​



If your complaint is not about a refund or poor service, but about a dental professional's fitness to practise, you should contact the General Dental Council (GDC).

The GDC is the UK-wide regulator for all dental professionals. You should contact them if you believe a professional:

  • Poses a risk of harm to patients
  • Has engaged in serious misconduct (e.g., fraud, dishonesty, inappropriate behaviour)
  • Is not fit to work due to their health
Note: The GDC does not resolve individual complaints, order refunds, or award compensation. Their role is to investigate serious concerns to protect the public, which can result in a dental professional having their registration suspended or removed.



🏢 For Practice-Wide Issues (Regulators)​



If your complaint is about the general running of the practice—such as a lack of cleanliness, poor infection control, or issues with management—you can report this to the healthcare regulator for your country.

  • England: Care Quality Commission (CQC)
  • Scotland: Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS)
  • Wales: Healthcare Inspectorate Wales (HIW)
  • Northern Ireland: The Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA)
These organisations do not investigate individual complaints but use the information to inform their inspections and ensure the practice is meeting safety and quality standards.

------------------

If you feel the dentist poses a risk to other patients, have a look here:


What do you think the best course of action would be?
 
@letsconnect Thankyou so much for this I think I’m just worried they are going to try and ignore my complaint. I am definitely going to complain though and I will start by complaining to the actual dentist your post is so helpful Thankyou again I will complain to the practice first and see what they say.
 
@anonfemale I agree with you we both need too complain and I’m sorry your having a similar problem Thankyou so much you have my support too let’s make those complaints
 
Back
Top