• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

sore bump on roof of mouth

  • Thread starter Thread starter greenwood
  • Start date Start date
G

greenwood

Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2009
Messages
49
Background: I was to the dentist a couple of weeks ago and told I had no cavities. I was, however, on antibiotics for a sinus infection at the time (actually, I had just finished the course the day before). I did not mention this to my dentist but had mentioned some minor sensitivity to cold on the one side at the top. Still told no cavities despite some stains.

I have had a bump appear on the roof of my mouth three times now. Once recently, and twice last year. It isn't horribly painful but it does smart to touch and I can't keep my tongue from it. Two of the three times my sinuses were acting up when it came so I thought it might be from that, but the last time I had no sinus problem. Also, possibly not related, but I do often feel like I have water in my left ear (I'm often told I actually do but no infection in the ear) and in my jaw and the lump comes on the left side of my pallet.

Any suggestions about what this might be? Do cankers come on your pallet? I do tend to get a lot of those, but never before on the roof of my mouth. Do abscesses come on the roof of your mouth? The tooth with cold sensitivity is the second from the back on that side but I've been assuming it is because of gum wear since I was told I was cavity free.
 
It's difficult to say without seeing the "bump." There can be small little bumps and diffuse, swollen bumps and a few in between. Although a report of no cavities can be good, that may not reveal anything about an abscess as a tooth without decay can abscess from a previous large, deep filling. Gum disease can lead to swellings as well. Sometimes the problem is that the problem goes away before you can get into see the dentist. Maybe try to see one when you notice the bump is present.
 
Back
Top