• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sore mouth so frustrated

N

NellR

I’ve written before about my sore mouth … it’s just sore all over, so much that even speaking hurts :(. I forced my extremely anxious self to go to the dentist yesterday. She said my periodontitis was no worse than last year (when I had a deep cleaning), no cavities, and she did a regular cleaning. Last night it felt so much better, but this morning the pain was back. She thought things would feel much better after a cleaning, and now I’m so frustrated again. is my mouth sore from a regular cleaning?? I’ve been taking Advil and tylenol but still have pain. The one thing I haven’t done yet is a mouthguard … she took measurements yesterday for a night guard. Is the pain maybe from night grinding? But then why did it feel so much better after yesterday’s appointment? I’m so confused … is there anything else I can do for the pain? Help??

If you seriously want answers to this you need to provide a whole lot more information.

What's the pain like? Burning? Itching? Anything triggers it? Anywhere in particular? Hard tissues i.e. teeth and gums or across soft tissues too e.g. tongue, palate?

How long does it go on for?

Are you taking any meds?

Age?

Any underlying medical issues?

I don’t know how to describe the pain, other than a dull ache. Not burning, not itching. Only teeth and/or gums, not tongue or palate. It’s there at some level all day (Except right after the dental cleaning when it felt fine for one evening/night). Lying down on side or stomach tends to make it feel better (?). I’m 58 years old, generally physically healthy but with mental health issues — I take meds for anxiety and depression (took the same meds for many years with no mouth pain). Can you make any sense of this?? Thank you so much for trying to help me.

Can you list the meds?
Have you had any blood tests done recently? There can be a link to mild anaemia for chronic gum issues. You'd be looking for serum folate and serum B12 levels, so might be worth giving your doc a ring to check those.

Back