• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

too sore to even start brushing on one side of mouth!

A

austinpowersdad

I hated the idea of a dentist, but finally found one after so many years, so I had a cavity filling around 3 months ago. As a result I had pain on that side of the mouth that never went away for weeks. I couldnt even brush, or put the brush on the teeth, even if I didnt move it! I went back to the dentist without an appointment (as a result of the pain and others telling me to go) and he said it was nothing to worry about, and would go away gargling with salt and warm water. It didnt ease down until around one month (but it never went away 100%). Arguably rather stupidly, I drank alcohol for the first time (one pint!) 4 days ago, and now I havent been able to brush my teeth on that side at all - i try but the entire area bleeds and hurts. Yes, its the same side as the filling, and I now know alcohol (which is in some mouthwash) is the worst thing to give to your mouth, as it dries it up completely, perfect for bacteria. I will now avoid alcohol, but I dont know what to do when the dentist wont help - the area is too sore to brush, and just like before, barely even starting the brushing process, it hurts :( I dont know what to do. I initially thought that it was an infection after the cavity, but will never know now as the dentist just said it would just go away. Would really drinking one pint of beer cause pain for more than a few days, and cause them to be this sensitive and bleed again? How can I make it go away if I cant brush on that side, and the dentist will just shrug and tell me to do so? I will admit that I find it hard to use dental floss-perhaps that could be an issue. I hear salt and spicy food will do the same, so that sounds like I will have to make up a long list of what to avoid. Could this dentist be not checking up on these cavity fillings properly (or not telling me why its too sore) just to make my mouth worse, so that I end up with even more treatment, which will equal alot more money? Thanks

You have a problem. Go back and get a diagnosis.

I have noticed that the pain is on the gum just above the tooth with the cavity filling (top left). The dentist last time (a few weeks ago) said "there was something going on there" but nothing was to be done. With the gum on the bottom left, underneath the tooth with the filling-there is an obvious red vein that has just appeared out of nowhere today going from one tooth to the other. Again, this area is painful preventing me from brushing. Other than this filling and this veiny line below it, all my teeth dont "look" bad, but hurt on that side alot and bleed when brushing. The dentist wont do anything and states its just "sensitive teeth", so I dont know if I am over-reacting myself, or if there really is an infection (likely to have been because of the filling or perhaps even myself drying out the mouth with my small alcohol intake)?

Like I said you have a problem go back it might be periodontal in nature.

thanks-I went back after the worry, the dentist did not check my mouth much (more of a talk-since my main appointment is set for a few months time). he said that although I seem to have sensitive gums, with my teeth bleeding every time I brush in one area (cant even move the toothbrush unless I force myself) was likely to also indicate I may be brushing too hard, theres a possible infection after the filling, or both. Perhaps the area did not have time to heal (if it needs to?) after my filling, and I dried the area out with the alcohol and caused a slight infection myself-I shouldve asked about that. I have been given more extra flouride toothpaste to use, and as before, was told to use warm salt water to ease any pain (instead of mouthwash-half teaspoon of salt in half cup of warm water-I thought the salt would have been a bad thing and dried out my mouth!-again, shouldve asked). After the bleeding and vein like look of my lower gum, I initially thought that it was a major infection and I would need some sort of root canal treatment (googling too much), but perhaps some of the problem could have been my own fault, with excessive brushing as the dentist state. I was still worried about a possible infection that could spread around the whole mouth. For the last couple of days I have brushed my teeth as normal, but avoided the always sore area with the filling completely, (also avoiding all alcoholic mouthwash)-and funnily enough, the pain is starting to ease a fair bit-I can now put the brush on there and move it lightly, which I havent been able to do in months. Perhaps it just needed time to heal/that the infection is finally beginning to ease-Im hoping so anyway

Back