• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Still aware of composite filling after 6 weeks

K

KT08

Filling replaced 6 weeks ago, back molar. Was sore for longer than usual (I have many fillings and don’t remember them taking this long).
Went back after 2 weeks as bite felt off and there was sensitivity when flossing between teeth (filling was between teeth). She did a bit of filing down but generally couldn’t see much wrong. Bite still felt off but then magically fixed itself after another week or so, assume I must have been holding my jaw in a strange way as I was having a lot of jaw/ear ache and I still felt mildly numb like all the anaesthetic hadn’t worn off even after weeks.
Finally, jaw and bite feel fine.
Tooth mostly fine now, not sensitive to hot and only mildly sensitive to cold. Not particularly sensitive to pressure but very “aware” of the tooth after eating. Just a mild, dull ache that lasts less than 30mins.
Had some sensitivity in it yesterday but went away after a couple of pain killers.
Not affecting my sleep at all, but today keep thinking I can feel an ache now and again that lasts a matter of seconds. Still sensitive to floss between but nothing unbearable.
I know I should discuss this with the dentist but it is quite far from where I live and my anxiety about going back is something I’m struggling to work through at the moment.
But should I be going back?

You could try using some desensitising toothpaste for a bit first. if that works fine, if not (give it a week) then back to the dentist I'm afraid.

You could try using some desensitising toothpaste for a bit first. if that works fine, if not (give it a week) then back to the dentist I'm afraid.
Thanks. Any idea what could be wrong? I am besides myself with worry about root canals and extractions. It was only supposed to be a “little filling” :(

What's it filled with?

Aaargh! I read the OP but not the thread title! I hate getting old!
Techie answer, sorry!

The usual reason for sensitivity with composite is a slight failure in the bond between tooth and composite, this allows a little bit of flexing/ thermal expansion/thermal shrinking of the composite which causes pumping in the dentinal tubules and this translates as pain. If it's not too bad, then the tubules will wall themselves off in a few weeks and block the pumping action.

Aaargh! I read the OP but not the thread title! I hate getting old!
Techie answer, sorry!

The usual reason for sensitivity with composite is a slight failure in the bond between tooth and composite, this allows a little bit of flexing/ thermal expansion/thermal shrinking of the composite which causes pumping in the dentinal tubules and this translates as pain. If it's not too bad, then the tubules will wall themselves off in a few weeks and block the pumping action.
Thank you. I feel a bit better!

Back