• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Still numb after extraction?

M

MountainMama

Is it worrying if I am still having numbness four and a half hours after the injections were given? The numbness has worn off on my tongue and on the back of my jaw. My lip and cheek directly in front of the extraction site are still completely numb. Usually it all comes back at once so I am a little worried. He did give me a shot in the back and one right in front of the tooth but both were given at the same time.

It is still numb. I called the oral surgeon’s office and they told me to call the surgeon on his cell tomorrow if it is still numb tomorrow. They are closed on Fridays. She said it was unusual but not worrying yet, and that some nerves can take longer to wake up than others.

How is it now?

How is it now?
It finally wore off at around 10 last night! I was getting really worried! I have never had it last so long even when they used the longer lasting stuff.

Hope you're feeling ok today and not in too much discomfort.

Happens occasionally, the dentist probably had a near direct hit on the nerve. Did you feel a slight electric shock when the injection started?

Happens occasionally, the dentist probably had a near direct hit on the nerve. Did you feel a slight electric shock when the injection started?
No, he was fantastic at giving the injection. It was the best I have ever had. There were just a few times that I felt a little pinching when he moved it around but otherwise it was painless. First time that has happened for me. Also the first time the numbness has lasted that long.

I do have a question, though @Gordon
I don’t want to call the surgeon to ask because it doesn’t seem like it is a problem. The tooth extracted was my first molar. One of the curvy roots broke and the surgeon had to drill in and get it out. Thankfully they warned me that could happen and there may be a cracking sound! Anyway, the premolar in front of the extraction site has a large red line going from the side of it straight down. It looks like the gums tore or something but it is lined up. It seems like it is fine...maybe he glued it? I have just never seen it before with other extractions and am curious. Do you have any idea what it could be? I can’t get my lip back enough to take a picture yet due to swelling.

Last edited:
Hope you're feeling ok today and not in too much discomfort.
Not too bad. If I keep up on the Tylenol, the pain is minimal. I am able to manage with just Tylenol and one tramadol at night.
Thanks for asking!

They might have flapped the gum back a bit to get a good look at the root they were fishing out. It's helpful sometimes to do this. Especially if they were planning on closing the site surgically anyway?

They might have flapped the gum back a bit to get a good look at the root they were fishing out. It's helpful sometimes to do this. Especially if they were planning on closing the site surgically anyway?
That makes sense. Thank you! He did say something about the root being curved and couldn’t see it. It is not bright red today. Everything seems to be going okay. I just need to get my nerves under control! It is hard going into Christmas but a few more days and I will feel more secure about it. It is sore but I am already down to one Tylenol every five or six hours.
Thank you so much for answering my questions!

Back