• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Success! No further treatment required

J

JaySee19

I know you lot will understand! I went for my first check-up today after a load of treatment last summer. Treatment which was necessary because I hadn’t been to the dentist for 13 years, due to being absolutely terrified. But an abscess finally forced me to go and I found a really empathetic dentist who quickly gained my trust.
So he and his team got me sorted and I resolved never to get into the same position again and always to go for check ups. Today was the first one and as usual I was a nervous wreck for days, if not weeks in advance. Will I ever grow out of this fear? Probably not.
And guess what, everything’s fine - well, his actual words were “no treatment required”, which is maybe not the same thing, but I’ll take it. I know I have a couple of inflamed areas in my gums, but the hygienist cleaned those out and I’m going to work on them.
I did make one mistake though. I didn’t arrange the next appointment. Which means I have to take the initiative and pick up the phone in 6 months time. Will I do it?

Congratulations that’s fantastic. Well done for getting to this point in your dental journey. I have a similar case of severe pain finally forcing me to go after many years. And loved the day my treatment plan was complete and I was just having checkups. I know it’s hard. But honestly if you can manage the checkups it’s great to keep on top of it

I find it good to book it six months away ? as you know you have ages i can put it to one side and forget. When it’s booking it close it’s harder I find as I want to keep delaying booking.

I find it good to book it six months away ? as you know you have ages i can put it to one side and forget. When it’s booking it close it’s harder I find as I want to keep delaying booking.
Yes, that’s my problem too. It becomes really difficult to even pick up the phone. And then 6 months turn into 7, 8 .... and then a year. By which point embarrassment that I’ve left it so long plays a role - and there I am back at the start.

You got me thinking and I came to the conclusion you’re right and it will not be helpful to put off making the next appointment. Who knows what I’ll be like in 6 months time! So I rang them this morning to set things up. And took the opportunity of getting hubby his next appointment too. So feeling virtuous now!
Thank you @Molar_bear!

You got me thinking and I came to the conclusion you’re right and it will not be helpful to put off making the next appointment. Who knows what I’ll be like in 6 months time! So I rang them this morning to set things up. And took the opportunity of getting hubby his next appointment too. So feeling virtuous now!
Thank you @Molar_bear!

Well done that’s amazing! You should be super proud of yourself! ? and honestly it’s one less thing to be thinking all the time that you need to book. And I find putting it off just builds it up in my head. So glade your feeling good about it. And remember if you do have a wobble as it gets closer this community is always here!

Back