• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Successful wisdom removal

L

Leafs

I've been reading the forum for awhile, but hadn't been posted.

I'm a 30 year old female, who was terrified to get my teeth out. The pain began last month, and I couldn't imagine anything being worse than that, and had to take Hydrocodone for pain management when it was bothering me.

I had 3 regularly erupted teeth, and 1 impacted, so it was going to be a straight forward pull for most of them.

This morning I arrived at 8am for my appointment, very nervous. After talking with the doctor, and nurse, we got me set up in the surgery room. I was having IV sedation, but I was still nervous I would remember or hear things during it.

For me, I don't remember anything. I was talking to the dentist about hockey, and next thing I knew I was is a bed, down the hall in recovery with my husband. :jump:

Being that it was my first time being sedated, I thought the entire experience was bizarre, but glad that I was not awake during any of it. Seems like it took about 30 mins from right before I knocked out, until I woke up.
After waking up (I was surprised that I wasn't groggy?), I headed home stopping to get my prescription filled and some french fries, per recommended by my dentist.

It's been almost 12 hours now, and I'm in no pain - yet. I've been keeping ice on all day. I managed to eat small portions of potatoes, mac & cheese and pudding today with little difficulty. I've also been taking my medication consistently - alternating with IBP & Hydrocodone. I'm not swollen very much either.

I'm sure the worst is still yet to come, as I expect the pain to hit eventually, but I'm so glad it's over, and I feel so much better. I feel silly being so scared about it.

So to anyone who is scared, and debating it - It'll be okay. I know not everyone has the same experience, but in the end most people have a positive one, you just don't hear much about it. ;)

Thanks for the forum - the positive reading help prepared me for the experience.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

Well done you for going and getting it done, I am really pleased for you that you have had no pain. Not everyone has pain, everyone is different.

I hope you continue to heal well, all the best to you :butterfly:

Thanks!

It's been over 4 days now since my removal, and I feel great. No pain, no dry socket! :jump:

Back