• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Super nervous about crown prep tomorrow

M

MountainMama

I am getting the lower right first molar prepped for a crown tomorrow, due to a crack in the tooth. I am terrified, since the last tooth that needed a crown turned into a root canal and then extraction. The last simple filling turned into an extraction. So I am so scared that this one will end up as an extraction as well, since I will not do another root canal, as they have failed every time on me.
I have to get the first molar on the other side crowned as well, but am putting that one off for awhile, as I can only chew on that side until the implant post has become secure.

Wish me luck, please! I go in early at 8 a.m.

Last edited:
Good luck! Will be thinking of you in the morning. ?

Sending you lots of luck tomorrow that everything goes smoothly!

Good luck! You’re an inspiration on here and you sharing the ups and downs of your journey has helped me a lot with perspective. I will think of you tomorrow. Hoping it all goes very well.

Good luck! You’re an inspiration on here and you sharing the ups and downs of your journey has helped me a lot with perspective. I will think of you tomorrow. Hoping it all goes very well.

Aww, thank you! I am glad my journey is helping others. It is good to know something positive is coming out of all the misery.

Thank you to all who responded and offered support and good luck. I am still super nervous, and can't wait until it is over!

So I just got done. It was not pleasant, as I hate the sound of the grinding tool. I am still really nervous, as the numbness is starting to wear off a little, and I am already feeling pain in the tooth. The dentist said I shouldn't really feel pain in the tooth, just in the injection sites, so I am terrified that it is going to end up extracted. I am praying it settles down. If it already hurts now, what is it going to feel like when the numbness is gone?

Okay, it is feeling better now. No more numbness and the pain hasn't gotten worse. I took a tylenol and have eaten some soup.
I go back May 2 for the permanent crown, and then May 9 for the other crown prep on the lower left molar. I am praying that this works and that I will be able to chew again!

Hello Ms. MountainMama. I hope you're feeling better and your crown is doing good. I'm gonna be getting a crown for a broken molar at the end of this month. Is there anything I need to know about the pain and general maintenance of the tooth after they put the crown on? I'm super nervous about it since I'll also be getting a root canal with it before they place the crown since it broken due a deep cavity.

Good luck with your crown! Unfortunately, mine flared back up again, and the endodontist tested it and said it was irreversible pulpitis. I chose to extract it, as I have had two root canals already and both failed...they don't seem to work on me.

As far as care, the dentist told me just to be gentle on it for a week or so. I didn't chew at all on it, as I was scared to.

Is there anything I need to know about the pain and general maintenance of the tooth after they put the crown on? I'm super nervous about it since I'll also be getting a root canal with it before they place the crown since it broken due a deep cavity.

I experienced some tenderness for a few days after my root canal. Not sure how soon after you will be getting your crown. I had a temporary filling placed immediately after the root canal and then had to go to my dentist for a temp crown and then again for the permanent crown. I do not recall any pain or irritation after the temp or permanent crowns. As far as maintenance, if you have a temp crown be sure to avoid sticky, crunchy, or hard foods.

Okay, I was just hoping that there would be little to no pain. My sister said she was just generally uncomfortable after the root canal but it went away after a few days. I'm getting the temp crown placed the same day as the root canal. Permanent crown 2-3 week later.

There was no pain at all during the procedure and the soreness after was not anything that over the counter pain killers couldn’t take care of. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Back