• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Survived my first checkup EVER

H

hiccupod

I am 27 and have never been to the dentist until today. I chose a dental spa, so the atmosphere was very spa-like and calming right from the get-go. I freaked out on the drive there, but I did find a few things that helped get me out of my car and into the office:

1. Music. The radio happened to be playing a great, relaxing, indie mix of songs I could sing along to and forget where I was going.

2. Breathing. In and out through my nose, filling my diaphragm. It really does work, no matter how silly it sounds. Takes a few ounces of pressure off the body and racing heart.

3. Prayer. Yeah, not for everyone, but even a quick "DEAR LORD HELP ME PLEASE" can really be effective in relieving some anxiety.

So I walked in and had to wait a few seconds before a girl came in to greet me. She took my insurance and gave me the paperwork and I only had to wait about 5 minutes (watched their flat-screen TV, which distracted my mind from freaking out) before the nurse came to get me.

The nurse was the BEST. She asked if I was okay several times, was very very very gentle and spoke in a calm, quiet voice that made me feel like everything was going to be okay. They offered a complimentary paraffin hand wax, which helped alleviate almost all of my anxiety for some reason. It was SO calming and warm and comfortable.

I was fine all through the nurse's examination, X-ray, and cleaning. Even when one of my greatest fears was confirmed (she said something like, "Oh did you know this tooth is broken?" and when I said I didn't floss, she said, "You really should" etc), it wasn't as bad as I thought.

However, I did lose one battle. The MINUTE the doctor walked in, I freaked out and started crying. Completely sobbed. So much that the doctor and nurse kept dabbing my eyes for me with the bib and rubbing my shoulders, telling me it would be okay.

I was able to calm down a LITTLE, but not enough to stop crying. I cried through the whole cleaning procedure that the doctor did, worse when she asked if I had a dental trauma in the past that caused my anxiety (I don't, so it makes me feel worse).

Once it was over - no real pain, just some minor discomfort at the cleaning - she explained that I did have some issues but that we could take it slow and do the big stuff later down the line when I'm more comfortable.

I have about 6 cavities, 2-3 of which need root canals. :( And I need a filling and 2 crowns, I think. She also mentioned my wisdom teeth but said that we could talk about them later, since I was obviously so visibly upset. My insurance covers the majority of these procedures, so that's good.

My biggest fear was extraction, which I don't need....yet. I'm kind of afraid that the wisdom teeth will need extractions down the line, but right now, I'm going to focus on this success and try and get through the "littler" procedures.

Anyway, thank YOU guys because without the forum, I may never have made the appointment in the first place. My anxiety level is still high, but I hope it mellows with time and positive experiences.

thats awsome the place seems awsome i wish i was a patient there but im a patient at a different place its pretty awsome place but anyways it sounds like yu are on ur way good job just readin this really relaxed me :grouphug:

Back