• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swallowing bridge

C

chabe747

Hi,
This may sound silly, but I recently had a temporary bridge placed on my front 3 upper teeth. (Permanent will be placed in a few weeks), 2 teeth were ground down, and one was extracted and a false tooth was put in the bridge. I have a HUGE fear for some reason that I will swallow the bridge in my sleep and choke on it. Is this possible, if so, how common is this? Is a 3 tooth bridge too big to pass normally if it is swallowed? Please tell me I'm being silly...

Hi Chabe

:welcome: Glad you are here! I TOTally get the fear of dental bridges, crowns, whatever, dropping either during sleep or whenever else and fear of swallowing.. I think of this myself. and honestly it is a frightening thought. and a real fear . Does it feel secure right now? if not you can always go and make sure it is on their well and have them double check it. Chances are this will not happen. Not sure what the possibilities are. Someone once told me , there is no chance it will make come off without you knowing. and actually one time I had a crown come off in sleep, but itdid wake me up, and I felt it and grabbed it and did not swallow. I am believing for this to hang on there for you for a few weeks. :grouphug:

It's not too big to pass through normally if you did happen to swallow it. Never heard of it happening though if that's any consolation... it was always "nice" when a patient came into the surgery, handed me a crown and said they'd swallowed it but managed to retrieve it the next day... they always seemed to put it into my nicely washed bare hand :)

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, I'm starting to feel a little more confident with the bridge.

Back