• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Teeth Extraction, help! so scared, terrified! please i need support!

oh...and for the gauzes on the extraction sites, when i'll go to sleep, what do i do with it? can i still keep it in my mouth?
Since i would probably need gauzes for days...it's probably the best way to keep my tongue from poking there for a while.

Hi RaptorZX3

Just thought I would pop in for a bit ;) You have your appointment today to see the dentist, so I'm not sure that this will reach you in time as I don't know the time difference between us. Anyways, I recently had eleven extractions whilst under the influence of both oral and iv sedation, and I never knew a thing :jump:

I came home plopped on the sofa and slept for most of the day. I bled a wee bit, but nothing too badly at all, and I had disolvable stitches. I was given long cotton bud type things, but never needed to use those, and was able to carry on physically as normal. Eating wasn't a problem, as I just avoided the front of my mouth where my extractions were, and didn't limit myself to a purely soft diet - but then that is just me, and I do love my food, as one or two people on here will tell you :giggle:

I was extremely fortunate and didn't get dry socket, but what I did get, and was least expecting (hadn't even crossed my mind) were bone fragments. Now, I have a very good enlarging mirror and when I was using this to look at my mouth, the bone looked like little white pin pricks of stuff coming through my gums. I was initially freaked out about this, but was given on good authority (thanks Carole) that they wouldn't be a problem, and would just make their own way out, which they did. I had one tiny bit of bleeding from one of the fragments coming out, but that was it - no big deal at all :)

You are obviously very anxious about this whole thing, and my heart certainly goes out to you on that one, because I am still the same each and every time I go. Just try not to let your mind work overtime, and ask the people in the know, the questions and concerns that you have, and I am sure they will do all they can to help ease your mind.

I hope today's appointment goes without any major nasties for you, and I am sure you will be fine, and well on the road to dental recovery.

I wish you well.

Kim

i'm back from the appointment. at the end they told me to bite on a gauze and to replace it every hour.

How many times i'm supposed to do that? it'll be time for my Advil soon (for the pain)...which food would be better for me, Yogurt? Apple Sauce? Milk? Water?

Well done to you!! :jump: You deserve a huge pat on the back and now comes the easiest part....recovering! I'm sure everyone is different in regards to the gauze but you'll know when you don't need it anymore as it will be pretty clean when you go to replace it again. I don't remember needing it more than a few hours; just keep biting down on it to keep the pressure and you'll be fine.

As for what to eat; any of those things sound good but it may be better to get a little food in your stomach rather than just to rely on water. (unless of course you have no appetite or feel sick to your stomach) If you are hungry though, I think you'd be fine with everything you mentioned or even a nice broth soup might hit the spot. I'd recommend nothing with noodles or rice though.....I did that and then fretted that I'd get a piece of rice in the extraction site. I didn't but who needs the extra hassle when there are so many other yummy soft foods around? :) Keep up with taking your pain meds as prescribed and you shouldn't have to deal with any real discomfort.

Once again - Congratulations!!:yay:

thank you for your words!

and for the blood clot...it does look very dark/black in the socket, right?

as for the experience, the assistant told me she could put some glasses on me, while closing my eyes as well... I thought the dentist would inject me once...but I think he did it like 4 times! :o I thought he wanted to be sure I won't feel anything. While it's true I didn't felt them coming out, I heard some kind of "crunching" in my ear.

The dentist gave me a leaflet that contains most of what's here:

it says to drink a lot of liquid, and I'm trying my best to eat apple sauce (sweetened, since unsweetened doesn't taste good...) and I ate a yoghurt. Trying to put that food on the left side of my mouth.

Last edited:
Yes hunni it will do for a bit, then it will all fade and be fine. Is your mum with you? I hope you are ok, but if you have any concerns, pick up the phone to your surgery and let them know, they will be there for you.

And as takingflight said, now comes the easy part, the recovery :)

So pleased that you have done so well :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

i think i'm going to buy some cottage cheese, you know, this kind of cheese they sell in pots covered in cream and is very soft? i like to eat that sometimes, but i never thought about buying some till now.

damn it's hard to keep your tongue away from the extraction site :(

CONGRATULATIONS :jump::jump::jump: give yourself a pat on the back, you did really well, I would take the pain meds before you thaw out. Beat it before it happens kinda thing. This link might help :butterfly:

Is your mum with you? I hope you are ok, but if you have any concerns, pick up the phone to your surgery and let them know, they will be there for you.
Yes she was with me in the waiting room, i wasn't sure how i would feel afterward, and finally i think the Ativan (i took all 3x 1mg) had effect a few hours later rather than the usual 1-hour...but i really don't know if it took its effect, i didn't felt anything that changed.

I swear this is the most times i've been injected in all my life...4 or 5, not sure anymore...:cry:

thank you for your tip, Carole.

I started rinsing (gently though, no pressure in the mouth) with a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water now (they say 4 times per day), and i have another question now...when a gum is healing...does it have some white-ish parts on the sides?

though i'm always worrying that stuff would fall in the socket while i eat, even if i'm careful and push the food on the left side. oh i miss eating french fries! and coffee!

Oh yes...and can i start sleeping on the side from now on?
i don't like how i had to sleep...i did slept, but it's not my favorite sleeping position...

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the white on the gums was normal

The white on the gums is good, you are starting to heal very nicely. You can sleep how you want now you can also have a cup of coffee as well, so enjoy. As soon as you feel confident eat what you want just be careful on that side. I knew someone that had a dinner Yorkshire puddings and all a couple of hours after having a tooth out, but I don't know anyone else that dare do that. Me I am a baby and live on soft smooth food for days after.

You do what you feel like doing, follow the after care instructions and you will be fine, you did really well :jump::jump::jump:
and still are doing well, you will be fine :butterfly:

thank you very much, this is very appreciated :)

i ate 2 cans of Alpha-getti soup not too long ago, i was just careful and eating smaller spoonfuls and putting the whole thing on my tongue (while it's in a "V" kind of shape) and not chewing, just swallowing.

well i'm brushing my teeth more away from the extraction site, and without toothpaste (maybe toothpaste would be bad, i don't know), rinsing with a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water.

But now i noticed some white spots on the outer side of the gum, is that normal? like some kind of "after-extraction bruises"? And my jaw muscles feel a bit sore, that's normal as well?

Last edited:
Everything sounds normal to me, but I am not a dentist. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your jaw can ache for a few days and is quite normal. Use toothpaste it will not do you any harm. I don't know what the white spots are but if you are worried ring your dentist and let them put your mind at rest.

If you are not in pain, or have slight pain that painkillers take care of you should be fine.

I think you are doing really well, you should be proud of yourself, :yay::thumbsup::welldone: carry on with the salt water rinses and just be careful brushing near the extraction site. :butterfly:

My extraction site was white for a while and then it healed up. I think it's from the salt water. I'm not sure but it healed up just fine. Hope that helps.

i went to get myself a coffee at the gas station since i have free coffee tickets, but ugh...it doesn't even taste like coffee, it's a machine with powder in it that make the mix, yes there's normal coffee, but if i'm gonna take a coffee, i'll pick something else than regular-flavor coffee...anyway.

The healing is doing fine i think. I really hated the fact he injected me like 4-5 times, not sure anymore...i hope he will just inject once to repair the next teeth (if they are next to eachother), because i really hate needles, and i really wonder how i was able to take that many injections without freaking out of fainting...well maybe the Ativan i took had some kind of effect after all.

Like i mentionned before, the dentist said "before holiday season", and the assistant also mentionned a "check-up" in about a month.

You said to give them a call, but somehow the dentists are really hard to reach to ask a question, so i can only talk to the receptionist, but they seem knowledgeable and patient as well.

i ate french fries + sauce (mixed with the cheese curds i had here to make a home-made "poutine"), and chips yesterday, while i'm also still rinsing with water and salt, and drinking coffee (making sure to put in more cream to cool it down a bit more), and also slowly but surely brushing my teeth with toothpaste and rinsing with water afterward.

i noticed inside one of the holes that i can still see a bit in it, that there's a white spot...probably where one of the "feet" of the tooth were.

My jaw still get sore sometimes, it's annoying when it does.

Oh...is that normal for the tooth next to the extraction site to be sensitive while the gum heal?

thank you very much for your patience and understanding, like i said before, i know i'm annoying.

Yes it is normal for the tooth or teeth next to the extraction site to be a bit sensitive for some time. I am glad that you are now brushing with toothpaste and you sound as if you are doing very well. It is best not to rinse the toothpaste after brushing. You need a pea size amount on your toothbrush and as you brush and spit you will find the toothpaste just goes, what bit is left is good, as it will work on your teeth and protect them.

Best wishes to you, you are doing really well :jump::jump::jump: :butterfly:

By the way you are not annoying at all :)

Last edited:
Don't be daft, you are not annoying at all - you have questions that you need answers to, and wherever possible, you will get an answer from someone on here :)

I'm not sure whether a tooth being sensitive next to an extraction site should happen I am sure someone more experienced will put their two penneth in ;)

oh yes...how many days/week(s) should i rinse my mouth with salt and water? it's been 8 days now since the extraction, i've been doing it several times a day, everyday, since then.

i do have a good mouthwash here, called "Listerine Total Care Zero", which is a formula that do a lot of good things to your mouth, while it contain no alcohol at all. I wonder if i can/should use it now, or i should wait for a week or two still.

Also, for sodas...do you think i should wait more as well?

Back