• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

teeth pulling the horror story?

I think I got very lucky after several dentists tried and failed to numb me.. I managed to be refered to a dentist who works privately, but also in the NHS when needs be.. that said, I don't see him, but another dentist within the practise instead who is very nice. I've probably seen four different ones in the same place I did get a dodgy one when mine went on maternity, but I asked to switch and they were fine about it , she's lovely also..

Can you asked to be refered to someone else if you don't like this one. For a second opinion if nothing else.

There are payment plans, way's to help pay for it if you have to. It's not worth it flaring up into something worse, it's not nice being in pain and living with that, it'll just wear you down.

I had no idea they wouldn't offer any options to fill gaps, as it's a concern of mine seeing as I can already see some decay on front teeth - that the dentist refuses to full with a white filling as that's considered cosmetic on the NHS!? So I guess it's highly likely they'd leave a gap.. worrying!

Is there anything about your wedding you could scale back to pay for it?
I think I had the cheapest wedding going, very small, but had a lovely day with people who mattered and meant the world to us x

Perhaps I am just lucky, but I absolutely do not believe an NHS dentist would leave someone with a visible gap. A back tooth, sure.

I had enamel erosion on my two upper front teeth from brushing too hard with abrasive toothpaste, and have tiny white fillings in them. I paid £20 per tooth privately, and my own dentist did the work. I had one replaced this year after ten years because it was a bit stained, and again it was £20.

I had no idea they wouldn't offer any options to fill gaps, as it's a concern of mine seeing as I can already see some decay on front teeth - that the dentist refuses to full with a white filling as that's considered cosmetic on the NHS!? So I guess it's highly likely they'd leave a gap.. worrying!

Yes you can get white fillings on front teeth on the NHS. From the NHS website:

----
White fillings

Where clinically appropriate, white fillings are available on the NHS and are generally charged as Band 2.

For example, if you need a filling in one of your front teeth (incisors and canines), the filling material of choice may be a white filling.

If the filling is in one of your back teeth (such as molars and premolars), for a large filling the more clinically effective option may be an amalgam filling (a silver-coloured material).

Your dentist should explain the options to you in advance.

If you prefer to have the white filling or any other cosmetic filling options, your dentist will be able to advise you on the private costs for such treatments, and the risks and benefits associated with it.

(source: https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/what-dental-services-are-available-on-the-nhs/ )

----

Unlike root canal treatment, which in theory should be easily available on the NHS in England (according to their own website) but isn't always in practice, I've never heard of anyone having a problem with getting tooth-coloured fillings on the NHS for front teeth. So please don't worry if you cannot afford to pay private fees!

I could scream really, yesterday I waited in all day for a phone call from my dentist ( not the CD) and guess what, they never called, I really do give up the nhs just doesn't care.

I could scream really, yesterday I waited in all day for a phone call from my dentist ( not the CD) and guess what, they never called, I really do give up the nhs just doesn't care.

Did they call you the following day?
I've been at my dentist for 6 years and I feel it's busier now than ever (there are thousands of new builds in the area so that's part of it I guess). It was just so busy the last time I went, felt like a cattle market tbh.. the dentist was running late too, didn't look at my notes nor bother to take off his mask to speak/mumble to me.. Its a shame really as it used to be good.

Anyway, I couldn't get through at all when I called. I did get better luck through their Facebook pg - which is where you get directed when placed on hold..

I have thought about going private just to get someone who gives me time /listens and so I don't keep ending up with a new dentist every year... but I just can't afford it.

Hope you got through x

well ive a bit of news, ive found a NHS dentist that is willing to offer treatment which isn't just pull it out and leave a hole, ive been offered a root filling or the choice of two different bridges , which is good. what isn't good is the fact that I'm still terrified of needles and the idea of pulling it out still horrifies me! that's why I when CD , so im stuck, too scared to have the treatment and not wanting to look terrible ether. I give up, what a bit of tooth ache between friends hay .

scifiemz,

Glad you have found a dentist willing to give you some options to work with . Now to get through them.. its normal to feel stuck and scared. Especially with pulling and anything new to you. One step at a time. Will they now wait to hear what you decided or do you have another appointment soon to discuss more?

sadly not another appointment as i really cant afford to keep paying out £22 in order to just talk to the dentist. ive sent them a email asking for a few details eg how many appointments done x,y,z take , how many of them do i need numbing for? and what are the draw backs for each treatment, but as of writing ive not had a reply.

i just really cant face having it pulled it seems so medieval, and it prob doesn't help that ive A. heard a bunch of horror storys and B) im a regency reenactor so know how they did it in history and really cant see how they can make it any better for 2019.

im just stuck between a rock and hard place, my tooth hurts but im so scared its unreal, i can deal with a filling just about but this is just too much :(

I'm not scared of the dentist, but I do have a real phobia of needles, so I truly empathise. I needed a lot of work done in 2017 because I damaged my teeth by clenching, so there were a LOT of needles. I can't advise you on what to do in your situation, but I can tell you that while I didn't enjoy having the injections, I got through it. My dentist was supportive, and helped me to manage my fear, and she never made me feel silly - things that helped me were having the nurse hold my hand, and also bringing along something to fiddle with. I also knew that if I didn't have the root canal treatment, I would need to have the teeth extracted, and that would also involve injections, plus I would be left with missing teeth.

I don't know about your hobby, and am not a dentist, but I am CERTAIN that the technology and skills used to extract a tooth are now far superior to in medieval times!

I'm not scared of the dentist, but I do have a real phobia of needles, so I truly empathise. I needed a lot of work done in 2017 because I damaged my teeth by clenching, so there were a LOT of needles. I can't advise you on what to do in your situation, but I can tell you that while I didn't enjoy having the injections, I got through it. My dentist was supportive, and helped me to manage my fear, and she never made me feel silly - things that helped me were having the nurse hold my hand, and also bringing along something to fiddle with. I also knew that if I didn't have the root canal treatment, I would need to have the teeth extracted, and that would also involve injections, plus I would be left with missing teeth.

I don't know about your hobby, and am not a dentist, but I am CERTAIN that the technology and skills used to extract a tooth are now far superior to in medieval times!

im lucky in that I have little fear for dental work, that said im terrified of needles and the idea of teeth being pulled out , eeek. I don't know that it is about needles that freeks me out so much.

asking the helpful dental guys on here can you give me a bit of info please?
how many dental treatments would I need for a root filling and crown?
how many dental treatments would I need for a tooth removal and wait 12 weeks then a bridge?
how many dental treatments would I need for a, now I don't know that's it called but I was told that I had the option of having the tooth removed and a bridge fitted the same day but that it would only look good for a few years? this sounds like a brill option but also how long would it look okay for?
please help guys xxx

im lucky in that I have little fear for dental work, that said im terrified of needles and the idea of teeth being pulled out , eeek. I don't know that it is about needles that freeks me out so much.

asking the helpful dental guys on here can you give me a bit of info please?
how many dental treatments would I need for a root filling and crown?
how many dental treatments would I need for a tooth removal and wait 12 weeks then a bridge?
how many dental treatments would I need for a, now I don't know that's it called but I was told that I had the option of having the tooth removed and a bridge fitted the same day but that it would only look good for a few years? this sounds like a brill option but also how long would it look okay for?
please help guys xxx

I think a fear of needles is quite rational as phobias go - they do hurt. But the good news in your case is having the needle stops anything else from hurting, and it is over very quickly. The dentist can put a numbing gel on first before the needle. I think this is usually just for children but I am such a scaredy cat with injections that I always get it!

I don’t know anything about bridges, but I had two root canals and crowns on upper molars done by an endodontist last year. I also had two root canals done by my own dentist. The endodontist did the work in two separate appointments on each tooth, then I had to go back for final x-rays. My own dentist did the crowns, which were, again, two appointments - one to take impressions of the teeth and prepare them, and fit temporary crowns, then one to fix the crowns on. I didn’t have any injections for any of the crown appointments. By that point the tooth has no live nerve because of the root canal treatment. It is quite surreal having the dentist drill knowing there has been no injection!

The root canals done by my own dentist were done in one long appointment, not two. That was under the NHS.

I also had a lower molar extracted, by my own dentist, which was one appointment. I don’t have anything in that space - no-one can see it. Before the tooth was extracted I had a big filling which I cracked by clenching my teeth, then the root canal. I could have been referred to the endodontist for that one, because my dentist couldn’t locate all the tooth’s canals, but by that point I was sick of that tooth hurting me, and just wanted it taken out.

I had more dental treatment in 2017/8 than the entire rest of my life. I wear a night-guard for clenching now!

My takeaway from all of it - other than wearing my night-guard - is that I *can* manage the injections, even though I absolutely hate them. My fear of losing my teeth was stronger. I also know I would have found it MUCH harder without really trusting my dentist, and the endodontist she referred me to. If you have found a dentist you like and trust, maybe that is half the battle?

I have finally found a dentist I like which dose help, my CD I really don't like and I also don't trust her which doesn't help. which is all a total pain as they use gas and air so would make having dental work done a breeze , but i just cant bring my self to like her , she was very ruff and unsympathetic to my fear, and treated me like I was being a total fool. so yer not helpful sadly. xxx

" my CD I really don't like and I also don't trust her which doesn't help. which is all a total pain as they use gas and air so would make having dental work done a breeze , but i just cant bring my self to like her , she was very ruff and unsympathetic to my fear, and treated me like I was being a total fool. so yer not helpful sadly. xxx"

I wouldn't want to go to her either.. rough, unsympathetic and treating you like a fool.. eeks..

I have finally found a dentist I like which dose help, my CD I really don't like and I also don't trust her which doesn't help. which is all a total pain as they use gas and air so would make having dental work done a breeze , but i just cant bring my self to like her , she was very ruff and unsympathetic to my fear, and treated me like I was being a total fool. so yer not helpful sadly. xxx

What is the part you like about her?

What is the part you like about her?
lol its not my CD dentist I like its a normal one NHS a very nice young man which is the total opposite of the CD lady . the big prob is not nice CD have gas and air, wear as nice NHS doesn't :(

Ok, now I got it. Feeling comfortable with a dentist ist the pre-requisite of any treatment, after all even with laughing gas you still have to deal and communicate with them and need to be treated with compassion. Not sure what your plan is and I got how limited your options are, but I can only encourage you to only get the treatment with someone you like.

Ok, now I got it. Feeling comfortable with a dentist ist the pre-requisite of any treatment, after all even with laughing gas you still have to deal and communicate with them and need to be treated with compassion. Not sure what your plan is and I got how limited your options are, but I can only encourage you to only get the treatment with someone you like.

I just cant bring my self to like her, given she is sent people who are terrified of dentists ( much worse than me) she is pretty unfeeling to put it mildly.
im thinking of having the chip sorted out with the nice dentist 1st and if that goes well then have him do the root filling. that's if my dentist will let me.

I just cant bring my self to like her, given she is sent people who are terrified of dentists ( much worse than me) she is pretty unfeeling to put it mildly.
im thinking of having the chip sorted out with the nice dentist 1st and if that goes well then have him do the root filling. that's if my dentist will let me.

Maybe there are people who feel comfortable with her, but that doesn't mean you must too. If you tried to like her then you have been generous and courageous enough. :respect:

I am always mindful about getting treated by a dentist you do not feel fully comfortable with as it can make your fears worse and make you struggle with treatment in the future. Your every experience is a blueprint of how you believe dental care works so it is the best to stay with providers you feel well with. Reading your post your opinion about dental care is already not too optimistic so why making it worse? :( Looking for a good fit can be tiring and financially difficult, but it really is worth it.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you to find a good solution for your situation.

ohhh im getting so so fed up with this, on Monday at 9.30 I phoned up and told them I had made a choice on what dental care I wanted. I said I would like them to treat the small filling 1st and if that went well I would have the root filling. okay they say, sadly we don't have a note saying how long a appointment you would need for just the filling so leave it with use and we will get back to you. at 5pm I hadn't heard any thing so connected them again with a diff lady I talked with and she said they hadn't had a chance to speak with the dentist yet ( in 7 and a half hours???) but to give her a moment and they would get back to me. when I asked. ''ohh tonight or tomorrow at the very latest''.
guess what!!! NOT A BEAN . I don't like dentists to put it mildly all they want to do is hurt me, so I really don't need any more reasons to say stuff this for a laugh its too much like effort for a horrid out come and I wont bother( which I want to do any way). im sooo fed up being treated like I don't matter at all :((

Wow, that sounds heavy. The reception basically made you feel like they do not care at all. May I ask you which practice this was? Was it the dentist you actually like or the one you dislike?

It sounds like you genuinely hate dentists. I would argue about the part of all they want is hurt you, dentistry is a profession as there are actually many dentists who really and genuinely want to help. @Gordon , one of our forum dentists put it very nicely in an interview: "We are trying to help. We’re not here to hurt you. Dentists don’t wake up saying “Maybe I can hurt someone today!” Most of us do dentistry because we wanted to do good things and help people save teeth. We don’t enjoy hurting people, or making them feel bad."

I would easily find much more quotes to show you that many dentists really care, but do not think it would be helpful, because right now you obviously need help and feel defeated about the call and I would be too. I think treating a customer (which you are) like this is not really polite and makes a bad impression. I would like to hope this is the practice you didn't like and would encourage you to go somewhere where you get treated with respect. If this is the dentist you are happy with, then maybe it's just their staff that messed up hugely on that day.

By the way, your plan about the filling first and seeing how it goes is a very good one! :thumbsup:

Sending you hugs and still keeping my fingers crossed for you to get help. As usually, feel free to vent as much as you like, we are here to listen.

Back