• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

teeth pulling the horror story?

Scifiemz

I'm so sorry you had that experience. You finally got your peace on what to do and got the courage to call and let them know only to be met with not much response. I can understand how that feels. Well it sucks.

On a different note. As working for a Dr office. Our rule is if its not an emergency situation then it can take up to two business days to get back on things they need to ask the Dr about or even other requests. And its not that we don't care to do it sooner but just time logistics.

You should feel you matter and are important either way as a patient and I agree with Enarete that if you don't I hope you could find someone where you do.

I also agree though I've had some awful experiences myself. The last few years I've had immensely healing experiences of finding and knowing dentist do really care on a great level for their patients. Not only dentally but also about their whole health physical and emotional. I really hope you find this.

sadly its the dentist I like, and its not a one off being rubbish :( I phoned a few weeks back and asked the dentist to call me . '' yer sure he can do that tomorrow.'' as you can guess tomorrow came and went as did the next day , I phoned again and asked for the same thing, '' sorry we was very busy wed and thur, he can phone you tonight between 5-6.'' guess what. they are worse than terrible, I also emailed them a question which I never got a reply for ether, if people didn't have to go there no one would, if they was privet they would go out of business so quick. im just running out of stream to keep trying. but thank you for you kindness

right so ive got a appointment for Dec 5th to get a root filling done, I really don't want to as it could mess up xmas but if I don't book something then nothing will ever get done (seems my dental surgery has only 1 dentist now, and my village isn't exactly small). I cant get the filling done 1st which is a pain :( so its going to be jumping in the deep end and hope I don't suffer too much. so that will be me hardly eating till dec then and this started back in july , am so fed up

Sorry to read that. What a shame you can't get the filling first, I thought it would be a good step in desesitizing. Reading your posts and how you feel about dental care my biggest worry is that any bad experience may make it harder for you to go back after your current problems are sorted (or the wedding pictures are done). It does already sound like you do not really intend to go back which is understandable but will most likely to bring you in trouble in the future. In this regards I am sending you prayers and hope your apt on 5th will be a good one. Again, what a bummer they won't let you do the filling first.

. Again, what a bummer they won't let you do the filling first.

sadly you didn't seem to have the time, my next option was the very end of Jan or Feb, which is just getting crazy , this has been going on since July so I don't want to be waiting any longer. my biggest worry is the big appointment in Dec will be too much, and that i'll let him do the filling and the root and that I wont let him do the crown , A) I don't want any more pain and B) the cost , level 2 of nhs treatment is £270, okay that's cheep for dental work BUT not when your on min wage, for me that's over a weeks wage, would not getting the crown be so bad? .

and yes your right about after this being sorted I will not be returning, CD don't want to deal with my phobia and my dentist is far too busy to have time for me too, so really why would I want to? you don't go to the doctors if your not sick, so after this I wouldn't be going to dentist unless im in pain. the fear of going to the dentist is just too much. I cant do it any more, and I don't see why I should have to. every one says be brave, but why? what's in it for use? just paying out money I cant afford to have needles poked in me( which okay they may not want to hurt you but they will and do) give you load of terrifying techno jargon, then drill teeth you don't want drilling. its like cleaning I hate it and ive said time and again I don't want it then am bullied in to it. if I can go to throw this ive had it with ''be brave.'' and im going to make my life easier but not , by listening and not doing it any more. if more people wasn't brave then maybe people would start listening AND do something to make things better, instead of keeping things as they are.

Having the crown fitted should honestly be a breeze. Chances are you won't even need to be numbed for it.

Tough as it might be, I think the benefit in "being brave" is that if you can get to the dentist regularly to have checkups, it's more likely they will spot any potential problems before they become big problems. (Although not always - I smashed a load of teeth up with clenching a couple of years ago, which caused LOTS of problems and cost an arm and a leg, despite never having missed a checkup!)

It strikes me that if you could find a dentist that you like, trust, and feel confident with, all of this would be much easier for you to manage. Might it be worth exploring other surgeries to see if there is someone you might feel more comfortable with once you complete the work in December?

It strikes me that if you could find a dentist that you like, trust, and feel confident with, all of this would be much easier for you to manage. Might it be worth exploring other surgeries to see if there is someone you might feel more comfortable with once you complete the work in December?

sadly i dont drive so have to make do with who the bus can take me to and who happens to be NHS and taking people on which is sadly very few. i do like my current dentist but i don't trust him, or any one else, i think my dentist could be a saint and i would still see them to be the devil in a white coat, the prob is ive never been to the dentist and NOT been hurt even when numb or ment to be they still manage to hit something. I've never had a root filling but every one I've talk to have had nightmare story's no one has said, '' oh that , that was fine just like a normal filling.'' I really don't think I can go thru with it the idea is making me feel sick, at lest the tooth has stopped hurting which is a blessing.

I've never had a root filling but every one I've talk to have had nightmare story's no one has said, '' oh that , that was fine just like a normal filling.''

Allow me to show you a thread here. It’s a journal from someone and allow me to quote what I wrote there in 2018: „Root canal treatment sounds scarier than it is, believe me. It’s not that much different than a filling...“

I have said that several times but this is the only post I was able to find. So root canal, as a filling, starts with the dentist numbing you up - both steps are the same.Then they place a rubber dam - here is a little difference, but rubber dam makes thins more comfortable actually and my dentist told me that surprisingly many nervous patients love it because it is a barreer between you and the treatment. I am in the club and love it. Then they drill a bit - the same part as during a filling. Then they do the root canal. From your perspective as patient this part consists of you lying there letting them work. Again the same as the filling. It doesn‘t make a difference for you what exactly they do because you are numbed up so have no pain, just that dull feeling of numbness.

The reason why most people think badly about root canal treatments is this: they were in pain because their dentist haven‘t numbed them up properly. This is nowadays not an issue as proper numbing is the basis of any procedure. Another thing - earlier on there haven‘t been technical gadgets like now. Your dentist is now able to measure how deep the canal is to make sure to fill it right. That wasn‘t possible some time ago so they would get in until the patient was in pain and that was the indicator of the right spot (not sure I am explaining it correctly, but a befriended dentist explained this to me some time ago). There are also some other details which are not important to know, but the take away is that a root canal treatment was really an awful procedure some time ago. That‘s all not true nowadays so again, rct is not that much different than a filling. It just takes longer.

(Not trying to convince you at all, just trying to show you a different perspective. If you believe all the people with the bad experiences it would be only fair if I also got a chance with my good experience)

By the way, there is one thing about pain (just saw your post in the other thread and wanted to comment). If you are in pain, no matter how slight during any procedure, your job is to let your dentist know and not to go on before you are completely numb. There is no exception to this and should any dentist in your life try to make you feel like the pain is ok, you have to go. If proper numbing is not possible, then the procedure has to be interrupted, the tooth gets closed temporarily and you get a new appointment Often it works on the other day.

When people tell stories about pain I am wondering why they kept on enduring it. I think the resignation and accepting pain is what is wrong there - dentistry can and should be painless and it is your right to demand painlessness. In the past things were more difficult but not now there is no scenario where you would have to endure pain during any treatment.

Last edited:
Honestly, a root filling IS just like a normal filling in terms of what you will feel, but long. The dentist will drill into the tooth, clean it out, put stuff in it to seal it, then a filling over the top. Depending on which tooth, it might need a crown, which would probably be done another time. You will be completely numb, and if you are not, you can ask the dentist for more anaesthetic.

I had several root canals over a short space of time because of clenching damaging my teeth. During one, I got a sharp pain and squeaked. My dentist asked if I could feel anything, I said yes, and she syringed more anaesthetic directly into the tooth, rather than as an injection. Your dentist should keep checking in with you to make sure you’re okay, and also you can ask to stop at any time if you are not okay. My dentist asks me to raise my right hand. I find it helpful to have every little thing explained as it goes along (this will feel a bit rattle-y, and take about a minute, we’re halfway there, and so on) but I know this would be some people’s nightmare.

There are guides to what it’s like to have a root canal on the FAQ bit of the main website which might help to put your mind at ease?

Scifimz,

I think that anytime anyone has a new type procedure you haven't done before , anxiety would be so normal... not knowing what to expect, especially with the stigma and the reputation of root canals in the days ago... now adays, with the shift in great personal care, really making sure one is numb , better technology .

I've had a number of root canals , only one with issue 30 yrs ago with a dentist that believed in a strick 1 shot anesthetic and that was that.. well I needed more.. so just ask and make sure they will give you enough anesthetic to make you comfortable during the procedure and everything should be ok. otherwise it is a pretty boring procedure.

Also it has save many of my teeth so I do highly recommend that if you can do it and they are suggesting.

By the way, there is one thing about pain (just saw your post in the other thread and wanted to comment). If you are in pain, no matter how slight during any procedure, your job is to let your dentist know and not to go on before you are completely numb. There is no exception to this and should any dentist in your life try to make you feel like the pain is ok, you have to go. If proper numbing is not possible, then the procedure has to be interrupted, the tooth gets closed temporarily and you get a new appointment Often it works on the other day.

When people tell stories about pain I am wondering why they kept on enduring it. I think the resignation and accepting pain is what is wrong there - dentistry can and should be painless and it is your right to demand painlessness. In the past things were more difficult but not now there is no scenario where you would have to endure pain during any treatment.

thank you. i think my big prob with this and the main reason im scared of dentist and terrified of dental drilling pain is because of a filling i had a few years back ( maybe 5-7). wile i was having the treatment i was in a mass of pain but too scared to say so, every time he drilled he hit something , i would squeak and jumped. and sadly all he did was tell me to ''stay still'', which i couldn't do! when it became clear i couldn't ''sit still.'' he pinned me down by leaning on my face, so hard he bent my glasses. im not making this up I really wish i was, this was at uk dentist. before this i didn't like treatment but after i was phobic. I was helpless, traped and in pain. and this is my current fear, when in pain i go silent and terrified, i can't speak and freeze in place like a rabbit in the headlights. this guy i like and i dont think he would treat me in the same way ( i would like to think NO one would) but there is still the fear!

Allow me to show you a thread here. It’s a journal from someone and allow me to quote what I wrote there in 2018: „Root canal treatment sounds scarier than it is, believe me. It’s not that much different than a filling...“

I have said that several times but this is the only post I was able to find. So root canal, as a filling, starts with the dentist numbing you up - both steps are the same.Then they place a rubber dam - here is a little difference, but rubber dam makes thins more comfortable actually and my dentist told me that surprisingly many nervous patients love it because it is a barreer between you and the treatment. I am in the club and love it. Then they drill a bit - the same part as during a filling. Then they do the root canal. From your perspective as patient this part consists of you lying there letting them work. Again the same as the filling. It doesn‘t make a difference for you what exactly they do because you are numbed up so have no pain, just that dull feeling of numbness.

The reason why most people think badly about root canal treatments is this: they were in pain because their dentist haven‘t numbed them up properly. This is nowadays not an issue as proper numbing is the basis of any procedure. Another thing - earlier on there haven‘t been technical gadgets like now. Your dentist is now able to measure how deep the canal is to make sure to fill it right. That wasn‘t possible some time ago so they would get in until the patient was in pain and that was the indicator of the right spot (not sure I am explaining it correctly, but a befriended dentist explained this to me some time ago). There are also some other details which are not important to know, but the take away is that a root canal treatment was really an awful procedure some time ago. That‘s all not true nowadays so again, rct is not that much different than a filling. It just takes longer.

(Not trying to convince you at all, just trying to show you a different perspective. If you believe all the people with the bad experiences it would be only fair if I also got a chance with my good experience)

this rubber dam? is that used in the uk ive not heard of it before? is like like a collar around the tooth? thank you fort all your kindness.
hugsxx

have been thinking today and with everything I think I'm going to give up, okay it sort of hurts but I cant go throw with the pain and the terror of dental work , I cant find the help I need and am at a loss of wear to go and try next. with the badly broken tooth I'm waving the white flag and that's very much that, I cancelled my appointment for a root filling. I'll try and get the small filling on the other tooth but I'm not sure I can go throw with that ether. im just at a total lose :(

Sorry to read how you feel right now. You mentioned giving up but also trying to get the small filling done, so that sounds like you are still on track? May I ask you what made you feel this way? Sometimes, depending on what is going on in everyday life, the anxiety or confidence in what you can tolerate or not changes and it sounds like there is something that made you feel differently now then you did a while ago...

Last edited:
Sorry to read how you feel right now. You mentioned giving up but also trying to get the small filling done, so that sounds like you are still on track? May I ask you what made you feel this way? Sometimes, depending on what is going on in everyday life, the anxiety or confidence in what you can tolerate or not changes and it sounds like there is something that made you feel differently now then you did a while ago...

am giving up on getting the root filling done, the change would be thinking about how horrible having a root filling will be and how painful :( x

Honestly, a root filling will not hurt. Its purpose is to stop pain, not cause it. In terms of being horrible, it is long, which can cause your jaw to ache a bit with keeping your mouth open, otherwise it is fine. I fell asleep during part of my last one.

I really don’t think anyone here can help or reassure you, no matter how much people try, but I hope you can eventually find a solution that works for you. Good luck with your wedding! ???

Back