• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Teeth slowly breaking apart during delayed IV sedation

C

CharlieMcShane

Hi there,

I'm in quite a situation regarding my dental hygiene.
My dentist is under NHS and provides IV sedation. After examining and deep cleaning my teeth, my dentist concluded that I need two forms of sedation and more after that. I have two cracked teeth and one with two holes within it.

I signed up to the sedation waiting list back in November, since then I've been looking after my teeth more but a week ago, another tooth cracked whilst under pressure. It's a glaringly obvious front tooth and this was during my wait for sedation. I've been told my first sedation appointment won't be available until March - April. He is also claiming this damage repair will not cover NHS costs, meaning the procedures can cost up to a total of £1,600.

My question is, what are my options?
I'm simply too much of a nervous patient to go with oral sedation. I have far too much anxiety and pain which is why I went for IV sedation, but even that is taking too long. Do I look for another IV sedation clinic? Could I get referred to an Orthodontics Hospital? Would they be able to do all the work within one session? It says on the King's College website that they can do my dental treatment. Would the wait times be shorter? I'm hitting my fourth month of waiting and I don't know what to do.

Thanks,
Charlie

Hmm, that's confusing. NHS dentistry is supposed to be covered by three bands, and the most complex is supposed to cost £233.70.

I'm not sure if the hospital you linked will treat you, as it does say you need to be referred? I got treatment at a dental hospital (part of the treatment was done by students, though they are qualified), but I did have to be referred there. I was referred to their sedation unit by my GP. By looking at the hospital you linked, it seems the sort of place you need to be referred to, by your dentist or by a GP.

It might help if you phone around. Phone your GP, phone the dental hospital. Explain your situation. You might be eligible for some kind of emergency care somewhere.

Hope this helps x

I couldn't get a nhs dentist I had to ask my husband to help me finically
I'm dental phobic know the dread o waited 5 weeks for my IV sedation after 15 years not going to dentist as I paid I know it's crippling both & and phobia

Can you borrow the money go private I know it's hard but waiting is worse xx

I couldn't get a nhs dentist I had to ask my husband to help me finically
I'm dental phobic know the dread o waited 5 weeks for my IV sedation after 15 years not going to dentist as I paid I know it's crippling both & and phobia

Can you borrow the money go private I know it's hard but waiting is worse xx

You can kind of borrow the money to go private by way of 0% interest free finance though not all practices offer it, this is typically over 10-12 months, going privately usually means being seen very quickly.
As for sedation I had my first session on Fri so I could have implants placed and it made treatment very easy, it wore off fairly quickly too, make sure you have someone to drive you home and be with you until the following day as you'll be quite woozy.

I know the waiting for sedation is ridiculously long. I have s bad phobia of dentist, at point just saying the word would give me a panic attack. Could you maybe ring them and say if there is any cancellation can you call me. Are the teeth being filled or taken out

Back