• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Telling Boyfriend?

I think it's a good idea telling him because you will feel a bit more at ease knowing that there are people to support you and you'll feel better knowing that you don't have to hide anything from him anymore.

From what you have said he sounds amazing so his reaction to you telling him should be very understanding and supportive. Also it's great for when you have appointments he can go with you. I don't know if it's the same with you but I found I was a little more relaxed with my boyfriend there rather than my mum ( however the last time I went before all the recent treatment was with my mum about 7 years ago!) I think I was trying to act brave around my mum because she's the sort of person who would go round telling everyone whereas I felt I didn't have to hide my emotions when I was there with him. When I told my boyfriend these were his words "Jas you strong and are going to get through this but that doesn't mean you have to be brave, if you feel like crying, cry ,If you need a reassuring word or hug, I'm here". After that I relaxed a little bit more because I knew I wasn't being judged. Didn't relax to much though cos I was still petrified!

Im thinking there is 2 possible ways to tell him. Number 1- tell him straight out. Just sit him down and tell him everything. However I know this takes a lot of guts and is scary. Number 2- ask him again what he is afraid of and vice versa. You could tell him that you don't want to talk about it( let's be honest no one does!) and he will want to know and if you finally do decide to tell him he will understand how much of a sensitive subject it is and should be able to see how hard it is for you.

Hope this his helps and if you ever need someone to talk to or to build up the courage I am here xx

Jasmine, Thank you for your response! I haven't been on here in a while, so I didn't see that you commented. Lol! I appreciate your words of wisdom. I still haven't told him, but it hasn't come up in conversation again either.

I might PM you with a few questions. I hope you are doing well too!

Thank you all for your amazing advice, however we broke up this week.

I did not end up telling him, because as many of you have pointed out, this is something that shouldn't have to be repeated with every partner I have. This guy was a good person, but he had a lot of things that need to change before our relationship could continue.

Thank you again for everything. You guys are amazing friends, and I don't know what I would do without your support. ;)

I'm so sorry, CB! There are certainly other fish in the sea. I know that's little consolation right now, but keep your chin up.

Hang in there!

Thank you Fearful. I will just need some time to glue some pieces back together, but I have amazing friends and amazing friends on here that will help.

I really didn't see us lasting much longer anyways. Too many complications. I still have him as a friend, which is what I would rather have than a boyfriend anyways.

Bless you CB.

Hope you are OK, at least you were realistic about your expectations :)

Thank you Spike! It will heal sooner than I think. I need some time to get myself together again and remember who I can be without another guy to babysit (No offence gentlemen! Lol)

Very sorry to hear about you and your boyfriend ending your relationship. I'm glad you have such great friends in your life to keep you busy :XXLhug:

Thank you AngelDove!