• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temp crown replaced now tooth is sore

  • Thread starter Thread starter bionicparrot
  • Start date Start date
B

bionicparrot

Junior member
Joined
Jan 26, 2016
Messages
3
Hello,
About a week ago I had a deep cavity filling that was done and it was very close to the nerve. The dentist told me to wait a few days and see if I have intense throbbing or pain too see if a root canal is needed. Day one I had some normal soreness which started to go away by day two. I went a week after with no problems or pain aside from a slight itchy feeling ever so often, the kind of itch that reminds of when something is healing.

Well last night my temp crown broke and I just went back and had a new one made since my permanent crown hasnt come in yet. When I got home and drank some room temperature water and I got a pain which I had not had before. The pain went away right away and I felt nothing when eating. Its only been a little over an hour, but I am paranoid of having another root canal done or having the perm crown put on when I am going to need a root canal anyways.
The dental assistant who made the temp seemed a bit rough with pulling it on and off and it took a lot of putting it back in and pulling it back out to make the adjustments.

Is this normal since it was wiggled around quite a bit and the pulp is still probably healing?
 
Sounds totally normal to me! I'm going through that myself - my temp crown came loose within 24 hours and they made me a new one. The old one basically fell off in my dentist's hand when she poked it, but she did put a lot of pressure on it to make sure it fit perfectly and was on there securely so I had some soreness the first few days.

Give it a few days to heal before you start getting too worried about it - it's hard for me since I freak out at any little tinge of pain, but I know it can take up to a few months to finally settle down. For me, my tooth doesn't really settle down until the permanent crown is on it. Not sure why it's like that for me.
 
That's a bit comforting to hear ^_^
I am so freaked out because it only starts bothering me when I drink water which I know is probably not a good sign. I wish I knew if it is ok to be sensitive to change in the temperature if its a temporary thing since it wasnt at all before she took it out. I was able to drink tea and had frosty this week with no feeling at all.

I took another bit of water and it didnt feel as bad and it was never terrible pain to begin with.
I dont know if it can be a temporary thing to be sensitive to drinking after all the tooth went through already.
 
Hi,

Unfortunately some times we dentists encounter post operative pain. Shit happens.
Assuming the post-operative pain is indeed originated from the crowned tooth, the question is whether the nerve is getting calmer or more inflamed after such massive reduction of tooth, meaning the practical question is whether the post operative pain is becoming weaker (the nerve is getting calmer) or rather increased and more often (=inflamed). Post operative pain can last up to 6 weeks.
OF course, I strongly recommend going back to your dentist. I am a dentist who will not charge for a post operative meeting, especially when dealing with pain. It is part of the treatment.

All the best of luck
 
Thanks for the reply!
I have to go back on the 8th for my permanent crown. It wasnt in today or they would have seated that instead of making another temporary since I have had no pain or issues at all aside from a bit of soreness the first day that faded on the second.
The itchy feeling I get in the tooth after I get dental work is faint but back and I am assuming that it is because the tooth was pulled at and squeezed to remove the broken temporary crown and place the new one.
I drank a bit more water and the pain is sudden but fades away within a few seconds (before I manage to swallow the water) and it just goes to that odd itch. I just took some ibuprofen to reduce any swelling but I think it may have already been starting to fade and not be as sharp when I tried to drink again. Or that could just be wishful thinking because I am paranoid and I cant get back to the dentist until after the third of next month.
I guess I am just confused as to why right after the assistant messed with the tooth I am suddenly sensitive to drinking things. Could it be because she was pulling on it pretty hard to get rest of the crown off and its just not healed up from the filling?
This is the first time anything was done on my tooth where it wasnt numbed first so I dont know if it was doing this before and I just didnt realize.
 
Back
Top