• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary crown fell out and the tooth left is small, what happened to my original tooth?

N

notfeelingood

Temporary crown fell out and the tooth left is small, what happened to my original tooth?

Please help me, i've been crying for the past hour, i was eating today and my temporary crown fell out, and now there's a tiny tooth left where my original tooth was. What the hell happened to my original tooth? Why is it so small now? I'm gonna call my dentist tomorrow but i can't even sleep right now because i'm feeling so shitty.

Is this normal? By the way I didn't realize it fell out and now it is in the garbage and I can't get it back. All thats left now is a little tooth where my old tooth was. This is the worst thing that could happen to me. I can't go to school anymore. Is there any way that this can be fixed? Will the permanent crown still work? Or am i gonna look like a toothless bum for the rest of my life. This is so depressing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello and welcome. I'm sorry that this happened to you. I know it's tough not to panic, but, believe me when I tell you it will be ok.

To answer your questions... Yes, the way your tooth looks is normal for having had the tooth prepared for a crown. In order to fit the crown, the dentist needs to file down the tooth all the way around. Also, it is important to get to the dentist ASAP. Be VERY careful with the tooth until you can see the dentist. When you go, they will make you a new temporary crown (they may need to do a new impression. If you have not had a root canal on the tooth, they will likely numb you to make a new temporary crown). As long as you have a new temporary put on, the permanent one should be just fine when it's ready to be put on.

Try to get some sleep!

Re: Temporary crown fell out and the tooth left is small, what happened to my original tooth?

Hello and welcome. I'm sorry that this happened to you. I know it's tough not to panic, but, believe me when I tell you it will be ok.

To answer your questions... Yes, the way your tooth looks is normal for having had the tooth prepared for a crown. In order to fit the crown, the dentist needs to file down the tooth all the way around. Also, it is important to get to the dentist ASAP. Be VERY careful with the tooth until you can see the dentist. When you go, they will make you a new temporary crown (they may need to do a new impression. If you have not had a root canal on the tooth, they will likely numb you to make a new temporary crown). As long as you have a new temporary put on, the permanent one should be just fine when it's ready to be put on.

Try to get some sleep!

Thank you so much for your words, you really have put me at ease. I'm gonna call tomorrow as soon as they open. I have had a root canal done on the tooth btw. Also what do you mean by be careful? Like to avoid putting my tongue on it?

Anyways thank you, i was panicking a lot but now i'll try to sleep.

By being careful, I mean I wouldn't chew on it without anything to protect it - the tooth is very fragile right now without anything to protect it - this is especially true since it's also had a root canal. The good news is that you've had a root canal on the tooth - had the tooth not had a root canal, you'd be in a lot of pain right now because your tooth is currently so exposed.

Hang in there!

Back