K
Kath75
Junior member
- Joined
- Mar 27, 2019
- Messages
- 5
- Location
- 76053
Has anyone experienced pain during the removal of a temporary crown to put in a permanent one?
I recently had a temporary crown removed and I experienced terrible terrible pain! It seemed follow the nerve pathway shooting straight into my head and down into my jaw. Definitely a 9/10 ?...(and I have had child births, no meds) No numbing was done by the dentist! I about jumped out of that chair. The pain was very intense for abt a min then went frm a 9 to abt 7/10. Later I had a bad headache. I wld like to mention that this is not my first rodeo with crowns. I have had crowns b4 2/3 but I think they all involved a root canal (they didn't hurt either when they removed the temp crown to put the permanent one, I can't recall if it was numbed or not)this one didn't need a root canal just 'build up/prep' and crown. All were done by the same dentist(whom I have had for 10 yrs and I have liked n trusted till now ?).
•I am worried, did it hurt coz there was something more going on with the tooth underneath? ? •Or should he have numbed it and didn't? ? Maybe they were in a rush..? (When the permanent crown came in, they called to schedule an appt I said I cld come in that same day if there was an opening coz I was off, after being put on hold for a few mins... they said be there by 3p) •Or am I being a baby?
•Has anyone had a similar experience?
I had a bad dental experience as a 10yr child and it took me abt 20 yrs to back to a dentist... I am now afraid to go back. ?.Even for cleaning...? ?That tooth/crown is still very sensitive to cold foods. Currently avoiding using that side.
I recently had a temporary crown removed and I experienced terrible terrible pain! It seemed follow the nerve pathway shooting straight into my head and down into my jaw. Definitely a 9/10 ?...(and I have had child births, no meds) No numbing was done by the dentist! I about jumped out of that chair. The pain was very intense for abt a min then went frm a 9 to abt 7/10. Later I had a bad headache. I wld like to mention that this is not my first rodeo with crowns. I have had crowns b4 2/3 but I think they all involved a root canal (they didn't hurt either when they removed the temp crown to put the permanent one, I can't recall if it was numbed or not)this one didn't need a root canal just 'build up/prep' and crown. All were done by the same dentist(whom I have had for 10 yrs and I have liked n trusted till now ?).
•I am worried, did it hurt coz there was something more going on with the tooth underneath? ? •Or should he have numbed it and didn't? ? Maybe they were in a rush..? (When the permanent crown came in, they called to schedule an appt I said I cld come in that same day if there was an opening coz I was off, after being put on hold for a few mins... they said be there by 3p) •Or am I being a baby?
•Has anyone had a similar experience?
I had a bad dental experience as a 10yr child and it took me abt 20 yrs to back to a dentist... I am now afraid to go back. ?.Even for cleaning...? ?That tooth/crown is still very sensitive to cold foods. Currently avoiding using that side.

In the dental practice where I worked, we used to tell the patients that the tooth can be sensitive and give them the choice to either try and see if it's ok (and numb them up immediately if they have pain) or to use local straight away if they wish.