• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary crown removal pain.

K

Kath75

Has anyone experienced pain during the removal of a temporary crown to put in a permanent one?
I recently had a temporary crown removed and I experienced terrible terrible pain! It seemed follow the nerve pathway shooting straight into my head and down into my jaw. Definitely a 9/10 ?...(and I have had child births, no meds) No numbing was done by the dentist! I about jumped out of that chair. The pain was very intense for abt a min then went frm a 9 to abt 7/10. Later I had a bad headache. I wld like to mention that this is not my first rodeo with crowns. I have had crowns b4 2/3 but I think they all involved a root canal (they didn't hurt either when they removed the temp crown to put the permanent one, I can't recall if it was numbed or not)this one didn't need a root canal just 'build up/prep' and crown. All were done by the same dentist(whom I have had for 10 yrs and I have liked n trusted till now ?).
•I am worried, did it hurt coz there was something more going on with the tooth underneath? ? •Or should he have numbed it and didn't? ? Maybe they were in a rush..? (When the permanent crown came in, they called to schedule an appt I said I cld come in that same day if there was an opening coz I was off, after being put on hold for a few mins... they said be there by 3p) •Or am I being a baby?
•Has anyone had a similar experience?
I had a bad dental experience as a 10yr child and it took me abt 20 yrs to back to a dentist... I am now afraid to go back. ?.Even for cleaning...? ?That tooth/crown is still very sensitive to cold foods. Currently avoiding using that side.

Kath75,

Your post really got my attention as I've had many many temp crowns in my life and a few that were very sensitive when taken off without anesthetic years ago. I can imagine that deep nerving pain you experience with this and so sorry you went through this! I do know that teeth that haven't been root canal-ed can be very sensitive and anywork without anesthetic is difficult to treat without discomfort and sometimes very intense pain. and I've had some dentists way in past do this saying "you don't NEED it" it is quicker for them to just take it off without doing anesthetic , but most the time and I can say ALL the time for me, I'd much rather have anesthetic.. I know my previous and current have immediately offered me anesthetic wanting me to be the most comfortable.

I also had a very very bad childhood experience and had pockets of years I didn't go back. Its hard to get up the courage again. REally give you credit for going in courageously and getting this done! I hope your crown feels better soon.. !

Sorry to read about your experience, I can understand that this raised your anxiety.
I was wondering how your dentist reacted as you experienced this pain?

The pain really surprised me and I thought it was just a fluke so I raised my hand after a moment or two and he stopped only after he pulled the temp crown out. He asked 'are you okay' but seemed very nonchalant about it... I said that really hurt! and then it began to go down. I said its starting to subside a bit.. He said, "Yes those nerves are exposed right now" ( I am thinking shouldn't I be numbed for that ?)Then he used a 'cleaning tool' blowing cold air/something I don't know, more pain! uncontrable tears in my eyes at this point. I stop him and I am dry coughing now (I think due to my allergies). He ask are you okay again( he didn't seem worried that pain could be due to something else. I asked for water and then they put the permanent crown in

PS. When I asked why no numbing was done, the dental assistant said because it's hard for patients to feel if the bite is okay and people end up going back. I wld rather have been numbed and go back for another visit if my bite wasn't okay.

The pain really surprised me and I thought it was just a fluke so I raised my hand after a moment or two and he stopped only after he pulled the temp crown out. He asked 'are you okay' but seemed very nonchalant about it... I said that really hurt! and then it began to go down. I said its starting to subside a bit.. He said, "Yes those nerves are exposed right now" ( I am thinking shouldn't I be numbed for that ?)Then he used a 'cleaning tool' blowing cold air/something I don't know, more pain! uncontrable tears in my eyes at this point. I stop him and I am dry coughing now (I think due to my allergies). He ask are you okay again( he didn't seem worried that pain could be due to something else. I asked for water and then they put the permanent crown in

This sounds awful, you were in obvious pain twice and he didn't do anything about that, that's terrible. :( In the dental practice where I worked, we used to tell the patients that the tooth can be sensitive and give them the choice to either try and see if it's ok (and numb them up immediately if they have pain) or to use local straight away if they wish.

I wonder what happened if you have trusted this dentist for 10 years? Do you feel like having a chat with him about this letting him know how upset this made you?

Thank you Enarete. Yes I think I might talk with him but I am kinda upset now so I will wait... also to see if the tooth settles down.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience! I was not numbed for my temp crown removal and did not experience any pain with it. HOWEVER, the tooth was previously root canaled and that makes a difference. It seems to me after stopping the first time, they should have offered you anesthetic and definitely by the second time. In my experience, if I am even previously numbed and stop them, the immediate response is to give me another injection and wait a few minutes before proceeding.

Back