• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

TERRIFIED about dentist appointment tomorrow!

S

Sunny78

Hello:
I posted the other day in the "your dental questions" forum, but no one has responded. I wonder if I posted in the wrong place. I hope a dentist or anyone can respond here.

I have to see the dentist tomorrow because about 1-2 weeks ago I suddenly started feeling pain in the next-to-the-back upper molar whenever I bite on something or drink something cold or sweet or hot. Other than that, no pain. But it does not feel like exposed-root pain, which I have always had with my other teeth. This definitely feels like something is wrong with that tooth.

I'm scared because it is right next to a hole where I had molar #15 extracted 2 years ago and never had an implant put in. I'm scared the dentist will tell me tomorrow I have to have a root canal or worse that it has to be extracted. If it has to be pulled, what will I have to have? I mean, I assume I can't have two molars pulled in a row without implants. Is that right?

I'm terrified of the expense and pain involved. I've had root canals before and they were not the cake-walk I'd heard about. I don't always feel the effects of "novocaine" and it's very nerve-wracking. The endodontist I have gone to for three root canals has an excellent reputation, and usually is nice. But sometimes gets a little impatient. But overall nice. He has told me that my canals in my molars are very very narrow and difficult to work with. In one molar they were so calcified, he could not successfully finish the root canal. He didn't even charge me much for it. He tried in several visits to make it work, but could not and felt bad about it.

Could anyone tell me what I would probably have to do if they have to extract this molar that is next to the hole where the other molar was extracted?

Thanks very much!!

Hi Sunny!

I am not a dentist and honestly don't have an answer to your question but wanted to offer some support and tell you I am very sorry you are under so much stress right now fearing your upcoming appointment. I understand completely as do so very many of us here.

I am only aware of implants to replace single missing molars in the second to last spot but thats only because they are advertised and I just found out a woman I work with is in the final process of the abutment somethng or other. i KNOW there are more options ... Just don't know about them but am sure others will be along who do. OR maybe check this site in the section the "DENTAL QUESTIONS ARCHIVE " has all sort of sections about dentures and extractions and sedation and wisdom teeth .... In the same area as the Your Dentristy Questions Answered .Hopefully one of the dentures/ or procedures or treatments headers will have entries that you will find helpful. Please come back after your appt and let iis know how it went, okay!

Last edited:
Hi Sunny!

I am not a dentist and honestly don't have an answer to your question but wanted to offer some support and tell you I am very sorry you are under so much stress right now fearing your upcoming appointment. I understand completely as do so very many of us here.

I am only aware of implants to replace single missing molars in the second to last spot but thats only because they are advertised and I just found out a woman I work with is in the final process of the abutment somethng or other. i KNOW there are more options ... Just don't know about them but am sure others will be along who do. OR maybe check this site in the section the "DENTAL QUESTIONS ARCHIVE " has all sort of sections about dentures and extractions and sedation and wisdom teeth .... In the same area as the Your Dentristy Questions Answered .Hopefully one of the dentures/ or procedures or treatments headers will have entries that you will find helpful. Please come back after your appt and let iis know how it went, okay!

THANK YOU for answering, Mugz! I really appreciate it so much. I did read quite a while in the forum, but wanted to hear from a dentist as I wasn't sure about my particular situation. Implants are so costly and my ins.does not cover it. The oral surgeon I went to one time for an extraction will not accept anything less than full payment upfront, either. I know I can "find another surgeon" but that's not always something you can do quickly. I have a lot of fears right now. I'm scared the tooth is a hot one and in my experience a hot tooth is hard to numb. I didn't have any pain till about a week or so ago. Now I have pain only when biting down on something sweet or cold or hot. i'm rambling here. I will go today to the dentist and see what is what. My dentist is nice enough but like all others I've been to in my life, not always the most patient.

You have been so kind to write. I hope you have received as much support as you gave me. Thank you and have a good day.

Mugz, my appointment was postponed till Monday!!
The dentist, not me, did the postponement. So now I will
spend the weekend trying not to worry more than I am.
I will let you know what I find out. Thank you again and have
a good weekend.

Hi Sunny!
HOW DID IT GO??? Are you okay? Hope you post when you have the chance and let us know how you are. Fingers crossed it was better than you thought it would be.

Hi Sunny!
HOW DID IT GO??? Are you okay? Hope you post when you have the chance and let us know how you are. Fingers crossed it was better than you thought it would be.

Hi, Mugz! Thank you for asking. I am a little confused: One minute relieved; the next minute worried.
The dentist did bitewing X-rays and those did not show any cavities. Then tapped the tooth in question to see if that hurt. It did not. Said it's probably gum recession, I believe is the term. Not as in I need to see a periodontist (tho maybe the dentists on here will disagree?). Just said I need to use toothpaste designated for sensitive teeth as it has more fluoride and that is thought to not only help with pain but resolve some of the issue? Also said to get a mouth rinse like "Act" for the same reason. Was told to stop brushing so hard and vigorously. Check back in in about a month and if the pain hasn't diminished, the dentist might consider a topical type of bonding.

The area was so sensitive, I saw stars whenever the dentist tried to clean the area. (I was also there for a cleaning.)

I still feel that it SEEMS like the pain arrives on the bite surface when I bite into something cold or sweet or even hot. It's a little hard for me to tell that the pain is coming from exposed roots, which I would think would not be on the bite surface.

So I'm worried the batwings maybe didn't show everything. I'm worried the root could die and I won't feel pain and the tooth will become infected.

Since the tooth in question is right next to the hole where molar number fifteen was before it was extracted, I also worry the side of the hole might be messed up and maybe that's where the pain is initiating.

I am totally guessing on all of this.

Don't know what to think. Naturally well-meaning friends, etc., think I am being a worry-wart!

I went online on the Mayo Clinic's site and saw what they had to say about recessive gums and they said the same thing about extra fluoride from sensitive toothpaste and mouth rinse that my dentist said. They also said to brush only two times a day and floss only two times a day. And they said to cut back on carbonated drinks, coffee, yogurt, anything acidic and if you do drink any of that, to use a straw and afterward, to drink water and wait a bit before brushing your teeth. Interesting stuff.

When I suck in air, it hurts. You know, it's just really hard to tell exactly where the pain is coming from.

What do you think?
Thank you again for your help. I saw your "location" on your profile and laughed out loud: That's the same Location for me, too!

:)

I had very similar pain (jump-out-of-the-chair sensitivity to temp and even to air) with the same diagnosis. I was actually convinced it was the RCT'd tooth next door giving me trouble, but it was not. I was so convinced that the endodontist has to test the tooth twice to convince me. Teeth are funny like that. I had already been using sensitive toothpaste to no avail. My dentist coated the tooth with something called GLUMA which is for sensitivity and gets bonded to the tooth (no drilling involved) which has helped the tooth go from I-can't-eat-anything-without-tears sensitivity to run-of-the-mill-annoying sensitivity. It actually seems to be getting better and better as time goes by (this all happened about a month ago). The dentist said it I continue to have pain he could bond the area of recession (like a small filling), but I don't think that will be necessary.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions. I think that GLUMA is pretty common and maybe you could ask your dentist about it?

Best of luck!

I had very similar pain (jump-out-of-the-chair sensitivity to temp and even to air) with the same diagnosis. I was actually convinced it was the RCT'd tooth next door giving me trouble, but it was not. I was so convinced that the endodontist has to test the tooth twice to convince me. Teeth are funny like that. I had already been using sensitive toothpaste to no avail. My dentist coated the tooth with something called GLUMA which is for sensitivity and gets bonded to the tooth (no drilling involved) which has helped the tooth go from I-can't-eat-anything-without-tears sensitivity to run-of-the-mill-annoying sensitivity. It actually seems to be getting better and better as time goes by (this all happened about a month ago). The dentist said it I continue to have pain he could bond the area of recession (like a small filling), but I don't think that will be necessary.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions. I think that GLUMA is pretty common and maybe you could ask your dentist about it?

Best of luck!
Hi. Wow, I can't believe you're going through something so similar to what I am. But your pain sounds a lot worse. My dentist said in a few weeks after trying the sensitive toothpaste and oral rinse, I can come back for a bonding that sounds like this GLUMA you are mentioning. Dentist didn't sound like there were a lot of options.
Do you feel pretty certain that your pain is from recession? I mean, can you TELL that's where the pain is coming from?

I couldn't tell that it was recession when I was just having pain. I went back to the endo who did the RCT convinced it was that tooth. He tested (cold test) the RCT'd tooth and I felt nothing (he had to test it twice before I believed him). Then he tested the biting surface of the tooth next to it. Still I felt nothing. Then he tested the area where there was a little bit of recession... Then I nearly jumped out of the chair. The pain was definitely from recession, but I wouldn't have believed it if you had asked me before the endo tested it.

The good news, like I said, is that now, after the GLUMA, it's soooo much better.

I couldn't tell that it was recession when I was just having pain. I went back to the endo who did the RCT convinced it was that tooth. He tested (cold test) the RCT'd tooth and I felt nothing (he had to test it twice before I believed him). Then he tested the biting surface of the tooth next to it. Still I felt nothing. Then he tested the area where there was a little bit of recession... Then I nearly jumped out of the chair. The pain was definitely from recession, but I wouldn't have believed it if you had asked me before the endo tested it.

The good news, like I said, is that now, after the GLUMA, it's soooo much better.

Very happy to hear you got good results from the GLUMA. Sounds like it's similar to or what my dentist suggested.

What kind of test did they do? Mine just tapped the tooth with an instrument.

They did the 'cold' test. It was done by the endodontist who I only went back to (instead of my regular dentist) because I was convinced it was the RCT'd tooth causing the problem. The regular dentist could very clearly see the recession and confirmed that he too believed this was the problem. Sometimes, as hard as it is, you may have to just have a little faith that the dentist has figured out what the problem is. At least treating the sensitivity from the recession is a very easy and non-invasive way to start. Worth a try, right?

They did the 'cold' test. It was done by the endodontist who I only went back to (instead of my regular dentist) because I was convinced it was the RCT'd tooth causing the problem. The regular dentist could very clearly see the recession and confirmed that he too believed this was the problem. Sometimes, as hard as it is, you may have to just have a little faith that the dentist has figured out what the problem is. At least treating the sensitivity from the recession is a very easy and non-invasive way to start. Worth a try, right?

Interesting. What is the test like? My dentist "tested" me only by tapping on the tooth to see if that hurt. Then asking me if cold hurts, if air hurts, if heat hurts. So professional "test," so I'm wondering what that test is like. I am still in the "let's try rinsing with an over-the-counter oral rinse with fluoride for a few weeks and see if that helps." I think the sensitive area is a little less so, but not a lot.

I'll ask about the GLUMA when I meet the dentist again.

Thank you for your help!!

I've only had the 'cold test' done by an endodontist. Basically, they spray some dry/ice type stuff on a very small piece of cotton and then hold it on various teeth. A healthy tooth will feel the cold, but the sensation will go away as soon as the cold is removed. For a dying tooth, the pain will be intense from cold (when tested on the biting surface) and will stay painful even well after the cold is removed. A totally dead tooth probably won't feel the cold at all (but I'm not sure about this as the 'dying' phase is usually the most painful and I've always had RCTs done during that period). I've had dying teeth that have not appeared abnormal with the 'tapping' (called percussion) test that you described.

Back