• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified and looking for a sympathetic dentist in Cambridgeshire

Hi Pippin,
Well done you.:jump: I have 2 appointments left and that should be it. Hope all now goes well for us both.:yay:
Hi Pippin,
Just to let you know I had the remainder of my treatment yesterday. Feeling very sore but am pleased it's all over. Have to go back in January for a 6 months check-up. I hope my lovely lady dentist remains at the practice otherwise I will have to start looking all over again. Anyway I hope you are improving each day and are feeling more settled. Thanks for your support.:yay:

pippin said:
I just thought I'd pop in to see if you'd had another appointment and saw your fantastic message. I'm SO pleased for you, and so glad you didn't have to wait until October with that other dentist practice.

My tooth is feeling better after the root canal treatment, the inflamation/bruising is improving now, I'm still keeping off it until it feels completely pain free. I go back this Wednesday for a quick review and then I have to wait for a little while before I have my shiny gold crown fitted.

I hope we both have a stress free summer!!!
Hi Pippin,
I hope your review went well and you are improving. I now have an infection because my dentist was unable to remove all the root when she took one of my teeth out. Had to go back on Tuesday and she prescribed antbiotics. Hopefully it will clear and settle down. If not then I will have to go to hospital to have the root removed.:o I really hope this doesn't become necessary. It will be an anxious time again until we know for certain.

pippin said:
Hi nannafish,

I hope the infection cleared up?? It's not fair is it when things aren't straightforward, especially with all the anxiety that goes with each procedure. My tooth is okay, it still feels a little tender to chew on, but I can eat soft foods with no problem now. It's been almost 4 weeks though and I thought it'd be feeling normal by now. I go back this week for the crown preparation and then in two weeks time I should get the gold crown, all being well. I just hope that it resolves completely and becomes completely usable again!

Hope you're okay and it's all cleared up after the antibiotics.
Hi Pippin, Antbiotics seem to have cleared it up but the dentist has said there is a chance that it could flare up again if all the infection hadn't gone. If it does come back then I will have to have it removed at the hospital. Anyway I'm glad things have settled down for you and I hope you continue to improve. Kind regards.:thumbsup:

Hi Pippin,
Just popped into the thread to see if you have any news about your crown. I do hope all is well and back to normal. I haven't had any more problems and my gum is healing well after having my tooth out. Finger crossed for us both.:)

Hi Pippin,
Good to hear from you and I hope your tooth will settle eventually.
If things do go wrong and you have to have the tooth out I can absolutely promise you that it isn't scary and you won't feel anything except a few tugs. An ipod helps as well. I hope it doesn't come to that though as you have gone through so much to keep the tooth.
I am o.k most of the time but I am getting concerned about my check-up in January. I keep telling myself there is no need to worry but sometimes my mind does drift back to how I used to feel about dentists. However, as long as my lovely lady dentist stays at the practice I know I shall be fine.The infection didn't return so I have no need to worry about going to hospital, which is good. I hope you and your family had a good summer. Not long to Christmas now so I hope by then you will be able to enjoy whatever food you like!
Kind regards and take care.:)

Hi Nannafish
Not sure if you still post on here but i really hope you see this message, could you please tell mewho the dentist is you went to? i am also terrified of needles etc and havent registered in ely yet..my husband is at chequers but i think you said in a previous post you went somewhere else..please help!

Hi Pippin,
Have you had your check-up and if so is everything o.k? Has your tooth settled down properly yet so you can eat what you want to? Hope all else is well with you and yours.Kind regards:)

Hey Nanafish: I am in the same place you are----deathly afraid of dentists. I need SO much work done in my mouth, including many extractions. I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and so it only makes the dental phobia that much worse. I have not had a good night's sleep in over a week now because I've been in so much pain---besides, my anxiety wakes me up covered in a cold sweat.
I totally understand where you are coming from.

Hey Nanafish: I am in the same place you are----deathly afraid of dentists. I need SO much work done in my mouth, including many extractions. I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and so it only makes the dental phobia that much worse. I have not had a good night's sleep in over a week now because I've been in so much pain---besides, my anxiety wakes me up covered in a cold sweat.
I totally understand where you are coming from.
Hi, really good to hear from you. This site has been of so much help to me that I dread to think where I would be now without it. Have you made an appointment yet to go? I was in a similar state mentally as you appear to be, earlier in the year. My fear and anxiety over the dentist goes back many years to when I was a child. The treatment I received was nothing short of horrific. We had no injections for fillings and as the dentist pressed down into the tooth with the drill you felt yourself riding up the back of the chair, absolutely awfull! Teeth were taken out by gas and I can still remember being held down while they held the mask over my face.
I managed, quite successfully, to put all thoughts of going to the dentist to the back of my mind for some years until the pain started. Several of my back teeth had literally rotted away to stumps. I then started to have panic and anxiety attacks which took over my whole life. I reached a point where I knew I had to do something or I would have a breakdown.
The fear of going to the dentist had become less than the fear of knowing I would have to go (hope that makes sense).
I was able to register with a NHS dentist and asked for an appt. with someone sympathetic to a very,very nervous patient. My dentist is great, she is kind and gentle but she understands how much of an ordeal it is to go.
I have now had 2 extractions, deep clean and several fillings. I can't tell you what a difference this has made to my life. I can now sleep easily without waking up terrified and I can eat what I like. My 6 months check-up is in January and although I will probably be a little apprehensive I will go because the fear has been faced.
I really hope you will feel as good soon. Please let me know how you get on. Kind Regards.:)

pippin said:
Hi nannafish,

I had the check up and while there the dentist did a deep clean around the tooth and also filed it down a bit after lots of try's with the blue biting paper. I can't detect much difference yet.

Just waiting and waiting and waiting.......and hoping!

I can't really see what else could be done to help it now. No idea how long I should wait until enough is enough. To be honest I reached that point a long time ago but I just keep on trucking because once it's gone it's gone and I'm slightly bothered by how I'd get on without it. I'm also nervous about having it extracted, I've never had an extraction before. :hidesbehindsofa:
Hi Pippin,
Good to hear from you again. I suppose in an ideal world it would be best to keep your tooth, as you say "one it's gone, that's it". The problem being that it's still causing you problems and upset after all this time and work. Did your dentist give you any idea how much longer is reasonable to wait for it to settle down? It's very difficult to make that decision to have it taken out while there's still hope that it will settle. IF you do decide on an extraction,it isn't at all scary as you only feel a bit of wriggling and tugging. An i-pod will help to block out any outside noise and it only takes a few minutes.
I hope you get it sorted one way or the other and then all this upset and worry can be left in the past. Kind regards to you.:thumbsup:

Hi Nannafish
Not sure if you still post on here but i really hope you see this message, could you please tell mewho the dentist is you went to? i am also terrified of needles etc and havent registered in ely yet..my husband is at chequers but i think you said in a previous post you went somewhere else..please help!
Hi, I have sent you a private message. So sorry for the delay. Regards:(

Hi Pippin,
It's sort of good news for you then. Not much fun to have all this worry stretched over such a long period. At least there is hope that things will settle down eventually. Lets hope it will be sooner rather than later.
As for my gaps (I have 2) I can honestly say it makes no difference to eating and I really do not notice it. I think if 2 teeth were taken out top and bottom and lined up with each other (if you understand what I mean) then maybe it would be a problem but mine are on each side. Thank you for staying in touch.:cheers:

Hi, Pippin
Have a lovely Christmas yourself and I hope next year will be pain and anxiety free for us both. Kind regards.:sleepyjuice:

Back