• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified even at the thought!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Occult_Figurine
  • Start date Start date
O

Occult_Figurine

Junior member
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
1
Hi all, I have been reading some of the forums on here and I've made up my mind to finally take action on my awful teeth- I'm terrified though :(

I feel like I have the worst teeth ever, and I'm not afraid of the needles, pain, drills or anything else, it's really just shame that's keeping me away....

My last visit to the dentist was about five years ago-it really took me a huge amount of courage to go and I felt SO much better that things were getting sorted. I had a few fillings and a root canal then and was told I needed an extraction but my dentist was happy to leave it at the moment as it wasn't particularly bothering me.

However, after going through all of that, and getting a scale and polish my dentist said that was it until my next visit-I was SO disappointed as I have a couple of tiny holes in my front teeth that he didn't seem to want to do anything about, and although I was happy to have a healthier mouth than previously, the one thing that bothered me most, and knocked my confidence the most wasn't getting fixed-I was also too scared to ask :(

Looking back on this with hindsight, I wonder if maybe my dentist was trying to ease me into the treatment, to take it one step at a time and that he would have started to treat this at my next check-up? I feel really stupid for not taking advantage of the huge steps I'd taken and now my teeth are worse than before!
The last year or so I have been getting nearly every area of my life in order and the one thing I was avoiding was getting my teeth sorted- I can't leave it any longer.

A new dentist has opened near me and I'm trying to get up the courage to email them this week and let them know that I'm a nervous patient-any support would be great :)

O_Fxx
 
It sounds like you are ready to take that next step. You can do it. I know how hard it is to get that initial appointment out of the way. It's really scary to face dental issues when you've let them go for a long time, but you can't change the past. All you can do is work up the courage to chance the course you are on now. Make sure you find a dentist who will be respectful to you and doesn't make you feel bad about your dental past. You're the customer after all, so you call the shots. Respect is not too much to ask.
 
I have crooked front teeth due to 3, yes 3, sets of teeth lol. I know your frustration and embarrassment. I was going to suggest you go to a new dentist, but it looks like you are already on that track yea! That will give you the mask of him not knowing you, putting it off, etc. and he will give you the benefit of the doubt if you simply start by telling him you are frightened. They understand, or should lol. You will then have more confidence to speak up and tell him of your embarrassment. I really hope you get up the courage, it's your mouth, do what you need to do! Good luck! :hug:
 
I know exactly how you feel about the whole "shame" thing, thats a large of part of what was keeping me away from the dentists. Even though people were like "The dentist will have seen so many people with varying teeth conditions that it wouldn't phase them" but I just didn't listen. I still felt like they'd still find mine disgusting and would some kinda vocal noises to put across their digust but in reality, she didn't care. She was there to do her job and to make me happier about myself and my smile and she reassured me loads that she's many things that would make most people cringe but she's used to it all. Your dentist isn't there to judge your current oral health, they're there to help you and make your teeth better, don't let the feeling of shame stop you, its not worth it and really, its NOT as bad as you may think..I managed to picture myself with perfect teeth and being able to smile at people with such confidence that it felt like I was on cloud 9. Getting treatment will be so benificial for you, trust me.
 
Back
Top