S
Strelitzian
Junior member
- Joined
- Nov 25, 2009
- Messages
- 12
I've got an abscess and it's been untreated for a while - the pain went away etc, but it's been too long and I know I can't let it go on for much longer so I've finally taken the plunge and gone to a dentist. He's a perfectly decent and lovely, chatty man who does everything he can to put me at ease.
The problem is, I'm terrified of him!
I let him know from the very beginning that the thought of a dentist makes me so nervous I can hardly speak. So he was good enough to perform a more minor filling on one of my teeth as a "confidence booster". A nice idea, but I'm still majorly scared.
Particularly because of upcoming extraction. It's coming out next Friday and I've got all these awful images of my jaw collapsing running through my head. I keep telling myself, "he wouldn't have offered extraction if he didn't think it was the right thing to do."
Then I go, "Or would he?"
Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Fear of dentists/need for urgent work done/fear of that urgent work going awry?
The problem is, I'm terrified of him!
I let him know from the very beginning that the thought of a dentist makes me so nervous I can hardly speak. So he was good enough to perform a more minor filling on one of my teeth as a "confidence booster". A nice idea, but I'm still majorly scared.
Particularly because of upcoming extraction. It's coming out next Friday and I've got all these awful images of my jaw collapsing running through my head. I keep telling myself, "he wouldn't have offered extraction if he didn't think it was the right thing to do."
Then I go, "Or would he?"
Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Fear of dentists/need for urgent work done/fear of that urgent work going awry?

) the drill and root canal treatment, but I was not too happy at the thought of extractions either. I had a large molar out a couple of years ago while I was still a major phobie, and I have to say it was seriously easy, and I was so annoyed at myself for wasting so much time getting so worked up. (You will be typing exactly the same thing after the extraction.) The tooth was out before I even knew he had started. 