• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of having my wisdom teeth out!!! Help!!

P

PianoPlaya94

I've never had any type of surgery before... not even the most minor procedure. Not even stitches. Nearly 2 years ago, one of my upper wisdom teeth started growing. I went to the dentist a couple months later for a normal cleaning and he took a full pano x-ray and said that it looks like my top 2 wisdom teeth (only 1 was partially emerged at this point) were impacted. He also said it doesn't look like I have bottom ones coming in. Well, flash foward nearly 2 years later and both of my upper wisdom teeth have come in. One of them doesn't bother me at all, but the one that just grew in recently is pushing up against a cheek muscle (I believe one of the muscles involved in opening the jaw) so it's very sore when I move my mouth in any way. I am not sure if they are fully erupted, but they do seem to be erupted quite a bit. I can feel the entire top of the teeth and some of the sides. They are also significantly angled forward, toward the front of my mouth. Not toward the other tooth, but toward my lip... both of them. Anyways, I know I have to get them out but I'm SUPER scared. I have a consultation in a 10 days (earliest they could do ugh). I'm HOPING to get it out by the end of the month (the receptionist said the doctor does extractions on the 30th.. so i'm hoping they still have room for me). I'm seeing an oral surgeon and I THINK being put to sleep is an option (as the referral I got said "patients who want to be put to sleep..."). Anyways, I'm SUPER scared of anything to do with doctors/dentists. Based on my situation, is there anything to worry about? Is it really easy? By the way, I'm 23 years old.

In addition (and I will ask my OS this too), I am planning on going to Vegas about 13-14 days later (assuming I get them / it out on the 29th). This requires a plane. Is this too optimistic? Will I be fine 2 weeks later to fly and enjoy my time there? Thanks!!

Also, any recommendations besides advil to treat the pain until then? It's quite sore and hurts when i move my mouth and a bit when i swallow.

Last edited:
Are you going to be having general or local, tell the suregon you are worried, see your options and if you can be put to sleep, make sure when you come around the surgeon is aware.

Are you going to be having general or local, tell the suregon you are worried, see your options and if you can be put to sleep, make sure when you come around the surgeon is aware.

I plan on having general (or IV sedation? I just plan on being asleep lol). But I think what worries me the most (besides needles) is the recovery after I get them out.

Back