• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of having wisdom teeth removed!

B

bumblegirl

Hello, I'm new here.

I am having both of my bottom wisdom teeth out next friday under general anaesthetic and I am so scared!
I have always been nervous of the dentist but I am so scared of being put to sleep and that something will happen to me.
I have a bmi of 39 so I am overweight and I am really scared that because of this I will have complications or not wake up.
Advice please because despite the pain and infections I have had due to my wisdom teeth, I am so tempted to cancel having them removed :(

Thank you xx

Is there a reason that you are having general anesthesia instead of conscious sedation or nitrous?

Hi,
My dentist said they don't do sedation around here for wisdom teeth removal and unsure what nitrous is??
She did say I could have local anaesthetic but that it would probably be very unpleasant as one of my teeth is very deeply impacted xx

Where are you? That seems weird. Nitrous is laughing gas. I had very badly impacted wisdom teeth out with local. It was not pleasant, but I was way too terrified to be sedated.

Hello, I'm new here.

I am having both of my bottom wisdom teeth out next friday under general anaesthetic and I am so scared!
I have always been nervous of the dentist but I am so scared of being put to sleep and that something will happen to me.
I have a bmi of 39 so I am overweight and I am really scared that because of this I will have complications or not wake up.
Advice please because despite the pain and infections I have had due to my wisdom teeth, I am so tempted to cancel having them removed :(

Thank you xx

Hi bumblegirl
I had to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth out under general anesthesia and I was scared of the same things as you, and even more things that I will not mention so I don't add to your fears. I was totally fine afterwards, they had no trouble waking me up and really it is not anything you would want to stay awake for especially if they are impacted in the bone and not just the gum. Last year I took my son to have his out also under general anesthesia and he had no complications. try not to be scared, it is done all the time and you will be fine. If they thought your weight would pose a problem or too high of a risk they would not even give you general anesthesia so try not to worry.

Hi, sorry for late reply.
I'm in the uk and my dentist said they dont do sedation for it over here.
Still crapping myself, even more so as friday draws nearer. I am so scared of the anaesthetic even though I have read it is a light one?
I'm also worried about how numb I will be when I come round? And if I have permanent nerve damage because apparently I'm high risk.
I have my pre-op assessment tomorrow so I'm hoping they will help ease my fears a bit xx

Back