• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified to go back after 10 months — convinced everything’s gone wrong

  • Thread starter Thread starter jazzythumper
  • Start date Start date
J

jazzythumper

Junior member
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
3
It’s been about 10 months since I last went to the dentist. At that appointment, there was nothing seriously wrong — just two wisdom teeth that needed removing. I’ve already had one taken out under IV sedation on the NHS (which was actually a great experience), and I’m waiting for the other two to be done.


Since then, I’ve been on sertraline (I’ve stopped now), and I know that can affect oral health. I also grind my teeth and have a lot of sensitivity from old fillings. I vape too, which I know doesn’t help.


Now I’m terrified that in those 10 months I’ve wrecked my teeth — that I’ll need loads of fillings, root canals, maybe even extractions. I have really bad health anxiety, and even though my NHS dentist is kind and gentle, I can’t bring myself to book an appointment because I’m convinced it’ll be bad news.


On the surface my teeth look mostly okay — nothing horrific — but there are a few areas where I can’t tell if it’s staining or decay, and that uncertainty sends me into a spiral.


I honestly don’t know what to do or how to deal with this fear. How bad could things realistically get in 10 months? I brush twice a day and don’t eat much sugar, but I can’t shake the dread that I’ve done irreversible damage.


I just wish I could be put under IV sedation and wake up with everything fixed.
 
Back
Top